PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A Lighter Moment: The Great Build Contest

The tribute to the 44th Bomb Group veterans was very moving, but there were a lot of lighter moments, as well. One of the things that is so great about events like Army Heritage Day and the International Paper Modelers Convention in October is the camaraderie among the men and women who pursue this art and craft.

The photos below represent an on-going humorous competition between Kevin and Greg.

It began in October 2008, when Kevin bought the GPM Sherman tank model from Pete Heesch. As he was looking through the pages and beginning to imagineer the build, Rick Steffers handed him the GPM Dragon Wagon and suggested that he really needed to build that, too, as a base for the Sherman. I became an agent provocateur, chiding Kevin about the Dragon Wagon build at every opportunity.

Then, last year, Greg began also building the same GPM Sherman and picked up the Modelik SCUD launcher, a comparable build to the Dragon Wagon. We have been watching the progress ever since.

Over the weekend, Kevin found that Greg had pulled ahead by completing the undercarriage of the Sherman and was making good progress on the SCUD launcher. Greg kindly provided some pointers on the construction of Sherman bogies.

Here are the captions:

Photo 1: “No, Kevin, the shin bone is connected to the ANKLE bone.”
Photo 2: Works in progress.
Photo 3: Greg’s progress on the SCUD Launcher.
Photo 4: Kevin’s progress on the Dragon Wagon.

Stay tuned for further developments.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Day 2010 Carlisle, PA-001.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Day 2010 Carlisle, PA-002.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Day 2010 Carlisle, PA-003.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Day 2010 Carlisle, PA-004.jpg  
Old 05-17-2010, 08:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Greg's closing thoughts

The event has come and gone and I would like the opportunity to thank a few people and post some closing thoughts.

First, I would like to thank the following people for providing materials for the raffle I dreamed up for this year: Mike, Kevin, Chris Gutzmer and Chip Fyn. The raffle was sort of successful. Because of the layout of the event due to ongoing construction, we were not in a high traffic area as we were last year. Attendance was good but not spectacular, so raffle participation was lighter than I hoped for. Incidently, we also had tons of handouts left as well for those wanting to try their hands at some simple models.

The lower number of visitors did come with a bonus, I was able to relax and enjoy the event even more than last year.

One of the things that did taint my enjoyment a little bit was an exhibit by my former employer. I have been unemployed for over a year now and still do not like to be reminded of that day. Unfortunately I was reminded on my "anniversary" when I saw the display.:(

Please keep in mind I did enjoy myself. My family came and spent the day with me on Saturday with no complaints and I enjoyed catching up with Kevin and Don and getting to know Mike and John better. Also the Saturday night meal and fellowship was great!

Greg
Old 05-17-2010, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
I just want to take a minute to thank everyone at AHEC for inviting us back again this year. We had a great time. Along with Don, Greg and family, it was great to seeng Mike and John and his wife on Saturday. I only wish you guys could have also been there on Sunday. Mchale, I have to tell you that you were missed...we kept out hope that you would be able to get there, but we also understand that sometimes things just don't work out the way you like...Maybe next year!

The highlight of my weekend was the presentation of my B-24 to the veterans of the 44th...This is something that I will never forget.

I also got a lot of helpful tips from Greg on exactly how to build the bogies for the Sherman tank that I have been working on forever. Boy, they are trickey little buggers...Maybe now I can finally make some progress...stay tuned for more on that build thread in the upcoming days....

And finally, I can't forget to mention....Like always, the food was great!...I know for a fact that Don enjoyed the Crabcake sandwich...(s) and Bricker French Fries...The funnel cakes were outstanding and Mike could not stop talking about his sausage and egg sandwich that he had for breakfast on Saturday morning.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
Wow, it's good to see my model being put to good use. I'm really honored. And your model looks fantastic. I would have liked to come to this event as It's not too far. (I live in Philadelphia) But Saturday was my anniversary and I doubt the wife would have been interested in going. I did spend part of the weekend building one of my B-24J models. Yes, I'm finally getting one built.

Once again, great job!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
John -- Forgive me for not crediting you with the design of the B-24. Kevin did make clear at the AHEC activity that you were the designer (he always referred to it as the "John Dell B-24"). We hope you can make an appearance next year - and at the IPMC in October. Keep in mind that the IPMC takes place a stone's throw from the Smithsonian Udva-Hazy Air and Space Museum! Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-17-2010, 02:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
I wasn't worried about credit. I'm just glad to see the model going to good use and that people are enjoying it.

I really hope I can get to the Paper Modeling Convention this year. I've missed a few and I should have something new to show this year.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:46 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
John,

Is the B-24J ever going to see daylight on FG? I like the D model, but the J is my favorite, as it was my first four engine bomber (Monogram), far longer ago than I want to admit!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-17-2010, 03:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.83 MB
My closing thoughts

Was a really good time spent with some great company and Don was a great host throughout the day. Talking to people who stopped by and say "THAT'S PAPER!?!" was loads of fun - and we met a few folks who want to really get into the hobby.

The Army Day events were great as well (where do those re-enactors get all that gear?) and I encourage anyone within a few hours drive to attend. That life-sized German half track that looks as good as a paper model was my highlight.

And we all thank Don for forcing us to finish off all that great Thai food that he so generously bought for the table.

Looking forward to next year.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:31 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Sorry I missed you guys. Maybe next year