PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > No Comfort and Joy Challenge

Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
thanks Willygoat, Chris, yes the fit is still perfect. If anything doesen't fit it means I didn't put things together quite as designed. I must say, though that my own prior knowledge of sailing ships of this era is helpful now, as is requiring more personal choices on how to do things, and when the ship is finished and masting and rigging begin, I will have to consult other builds and builders more and more.

Last edited by birder; 09-25-2008 at 09:51 AM. Reason: speeeeling problemos
Old 09-25-2008, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hi Glen --

This is the first time I've been able to check in on the Forum since arriving at Cape May last Sunday (and after the week in Israel). Cleopatra and your Spit are both looking very fine!

So far, the birds have mostly been the usual suspects, but had a pair of bald eagles fly over yesterday, some Caspian terns were close off shore, and there was a beautiful northern harrier cruising over the phragmites yesterday morning. Leps are kind of scarce -- lots of monarchs, buckeyes, and the usual sulphers and cabbage whites.

Rain all day today, which is okay, because I had to review maps and page proofs, which I have been doing for the past six hours at a table at the Magic Brain Internet Cafe. Son, Don3, and grandsons arrive soon (dau-in-law Judy has to teach Chinese this weekend).

More laer,

Don
Old 09-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Thank you Don, sounds like a fine get together going on! The Cleopatra is a great ( not joyful?) build and has progressed quite a bit, I just don't have much time presently, and FG is up so need to get that figured out, too and work on the next plane I told Chip I would do. Our local birds are forming fall groups, nuthatches, creepers, chickadees, downy's, yellow rumped warblers, occasional thrush (Swainsons mostly), crossbills, the whole group hardly making a peep as they move through the wood, as sharp shinned hawks and pygmy owls are around also. My darn cat caught a squirrel and left it at the door!! We try so hard not to let him out, but he always sneeks his way past someone.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the bird update, Glen. I forgot to mention that there are a few warblers hanging out in the woods here at Cape May: pine and yellow throats. The yellow-rumps will be here in abundance when we return in November. High winds and rain last night, but the wind has continued northerly and, as the Lene-Lenape saying goes, "A north wind bloweth in no interesting birds." The other Boose Boys got in last night after a very lively ferry ride across the Delaware Bay and as soon as I hit the send button, Lil and I are off to join them until the rain returns.

Glad to hear the FG news. I'll check in later today to learn more.

Don
Old 09-27-2008, 09:21 AM

update on homespun cannon. For details I used strips of paper rather than wire, and think this is ok. The cannon are not all exactly alike, but this is a hand made model....so if they are close that's good.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e.../odds005-2.jpg
these 12# cannon are not well seen when the ships boats are stowed, still thinking about that one.

Last edited by birder; 09-27-2008 at 09:23 AM. Reason: spelink erroneous
Google Adsense
Old 09-27-2008, 11:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
They look good to me. I'm all for making this kind of model a little easier! Well done.
Chris
Old 09-27-2008, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The cannon most likely wouldn't have been alike anyway. Cannon were routinely swapped around, captured from enemies, lost, found. Even ones cast in the same foundry wouldn't have been identical.

There were a number of cannon recovered near Goleta California that really bear this out. All of the barrels would fit in the same carriages, but varied 10% or more in most dimensions. The bores were similar in size, close enough to work with sabots and tarred rope gaskets at least.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:52 PM

Shrike, thanks, I tried several ways to make them more consistant, the small diameter of some parts with turning make them fragile on the lathe, was thinking I could turn a whole string of them, but no go, can turn 2 at a time, though.
Chris, I'm thinking most folks buy cannon, but I LIKE to make them... I think I'm going crazy.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:35 AM

update Cleo, capstan,wheel,still working on various parts and reading about rigging details....
Attached Thumbnails
NCAJC-Cleopatra shipyard-img_2055.jpg  
Old 10-04-2008, 09:10 AM

yesterday had some time to work on the stem and bow a bit, I really love this kit (no joy though, or comfort for sure)
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2057.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...v/IMG_2058.jpg
(sorry about not attatching but can't edit photos to size at work....)