PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Nothing's Projects

Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Quote:
That's how they launch ship that big, side way? I thought the ship going to roll over! OMG! That's scary!
When I studied naval architecture I was surprised to learn that almost a quarter of the class was to deal with all the math surrounding launching. There are people who totally specialize in it. My instructor's comment was, "Well, they gotta put it in the water somehow - or else build it there!"

Historically, there have been ships launched that immediately sank, but I think the most recent major ship was in 1903.

This link from Lockheed-Martin shows a great deal most about the future USS Fort Worth, including a ton of building pictures. Sorry, there was only one of the thrusters and it wasn't very good. (Picture #9)
Old 12-08-2010, 11:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB
those were awesome pictures. i happened on a picture of the lcs2 that showed (not clearly) that it had 4 vector nozzles. so i made an assumption (and you know how that goes) and place 4 on lcs1. im sure as time progresses material will be released that will necessitate a redesign. however i am very happy with what i accomplished with little solid resources.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:13 PM

I see that the LCS seems to be going to get the Griffin missile, in place of a navalized version of the Army's PAM (Precision Attack Missile). The Griffin is a scaled down version of the Hellfire, originally designed for Navy helo's.

Unfortunately, the LCS is coming in for a lot of flak lately. The problem is that the mission for which the ship is intended seems to be incompatible with the ship's design. Basically, the Navy traded some Weapons and Damage Control for Increased Speed. But those extra 10 knots may not be valuable for a unit that fires missiles, but Damage Control and Weapons are important for a unit that may be alone along a hostile shore. There is little debate that they're going to build some, but probably fewer than expected. A few relevant articles from the USNI Proceedings are:
No Need for High Speed
and
Wrong Ship at the Wrong Time.

In any case, I thought y'all might like to know. Speed up your builds!
Old 01-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB
wow! what bleak and depressing reports.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM

Don't be depressed.

The design history of the US Navy is of ship designs that everyone maligns, until they get into combat. If everyone was happy with the design - that'd be bad.... <GRIN!>
Old 01-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I am amazed what you guys do with Pepkura. I guess I need a real idiots guide to it. I can do much in Rhino, but don't know why I can't understand Pepakura? You certainly have my respect on an excellent ship taking form.
Old 01-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Quote:
Originally Posted by NimitzFan View Post
Don't be depressed.

The design history of the US Navy is of ship designs that everyone maligns, until they get into combat. If everyone was happy with the design - that'd be bad.... <GRIN!>
Exactly, remember the Spruance class destroyers. A lot of the same complaints there. Like the LCS it was intended that they would be fitted with new weapons systems as they came online, leading to the argument (now being wielded against LCS) that they were toothless and too much faith had been put in paper weapons systems. Well, lo and behold they were eventually fitted with Harpoon and Tomahawk, and now everyone misses them. Of course, unlike LCS, they did extremely well in their primary role (ASW) whereas it is questionable that LCS is even capable of carrying out it's intended mission. But the main point is only time can judge the LCS concept.

[email protected]
Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 PM

And meanwhile we get to build it! Years before anyone can in plastic or other materials...!

<GRIN!>
Old 01-25-2011, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 42.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing View Post
those were awesome pictures. i happened on a picture of the lcs2 that showed (not clearly) that it had 4 vector nozzles. so i made an assumption (and you know how that goes) and place 4 on lcs1. im sure as time progresses material will be released that will necessitate a redesign. however i am very happy with what i accomplished with little solid resources.
In the video from the LCS 3 page, at around 26 seconds there's a view of the stern with visible propulsion systems, much better than in the slideshow
I don't understand anything that's there, but the image is much better than the one from the slideshow (one of the videos with a ship launch picture)

Last edited by calinous; 01-25-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: there are multiple videos on page