PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Nothing's Projects

Old 06-15-2009, 06:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Is an AR-15 on the way Gotta have one of each ya know. I enjoyed the AK I used to own. Sometimes wish I still had it.

Ryan
Old 06-15-2009, 06:38 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis7485 View Post
These great models drive me nuts because we're not allowed to build/own them here in the UK :(
REALLY?????? why is that? you guys dont have toys guns of any sort in the UK? Each of his models includes (well its supposed to) an orange tip for the barrel as an option where that might be required.
Chris
Old 06-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
REALLY?????? why is that? you guys dont have toys guns of any sort in the UK? Each of his models includes (well its supposed to) an orange tip for the barrel as an option where that might be required.
Afraid not. Any toy guns that look anywhere near realistic are illegal here in the UK. When I saw the SA-80 paper kit designed by "Nothing", I really wanted to build it as I'm ex Army and used that rifle myself. I had a feeling it would be illegal here so I took the trouble to contact the Staffordshire police firearms admin dept. I supplied them with a pic of the built model and explained what they were made of, then asked them if it would be legal to build or sell models like this in my own store as I was going to approach "Nothing" about maybe selling his kits. They phoned me and told me that they would be illegal to build or even own an unbuilt kit and also illegal for me to sell kits of firearms. :(

My galleries
Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 125.24 MB
I wish Jules would issue a 1:1 version of his amazing Walther WA 2000 sniper rifle. It looks just like the original, but it's 1:25, if I'm not mistaken.
Attached Thumbnails
AK 47 in 1/1-pic4.jpg  
Old 06-15-2009, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I think it is 1/4 scale 'out of the box'

Just wondering about Nemesis' post above - we have similar silly laws here but not as draconian. Police being the same the world over, it is probably worth writing formally to the Police, and enclosing some sample pages from one of the 1/1 gun models (suitably doctored so as not be construed as weapon parts). There is quite a good chance that when they actually see what you are talking about, they more have a change of heart.
Google Adsense
Old 06-15-2009, 08:46 PM

Hi SJPONeil,

That's exactly what I did. I sent a letter containing photos and a small kit, not of a firearm though, so they could see exactly what I was talking about. I even explained that these models can easily be crushed in your hand and would turn to mush if gotten wet.

The problem is, from their point of view, is that from a short distance, it would be impossible to tell they aren't real and anyone dumb enough to wave one of these around in a threatening manner would be likely to eat a Police bullet.

The only exception to these rules in this country seems to be re-enacting groups and movie/theatre groups. There is a special liscence they can get allowing ownership of deactivated and replica firearms "for theatrical use".

My galleries
Old 06-15-2009, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
So you'll be changing your site's name to UK Shakepearean Drama and Paper Models?

I think that they take it too far sometimes, even post-911, especially given the range of weapons that are freely available in any High Street. Anyone dumb enough to parade around, let alone threaten, with a paper replica weapon probably needs to be culled out of the gene pool...I am always amazed how blase people are towards police until such time as they need them and/or get caught up in an incident due to their own dumbness...and thus we have these rules that spoil it for everyone else...
Old 06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Quote:
I am always amazed how blase people are towards police until such time as they need them and/or get caught up in an incident due to their own dumbness...

For it's Tommy this, an' Tommy that, an' 'Chuck him out, the brute!'
But it's 'Saviour of 'is country' when the guns begin to shoot.

Rudyard Kipling - 1890
Old 06-16-2009, 03:04 AM

Quote:
So you'll be changing your site's name to UK Shakepearean Drama and Paper Models?
Now THERE's an idea, lol.

What you say is exactly right, SJP and Elliot's lil poem just about says it all. I wouldn't be on a British Police firearm team for all the money in the world. When a police officer shoots someone here there is always uproar followed by enquiries up the wazoo in an attempt to screw the cop for murder or manslaughter.

I'd like to see how any of those ppl screaming "civil rights" would fare when faced with a split second decision as to whether what someone is pointing at them is real or fake.

Anyway, I think I've hijacked this thread so I better shut my yap, lol.

My galleries
Old 06-16-2009, 07:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB
thanks for all the compliments. and i wouldnt consider this conversation as really being OT i find it very interesting. i know in Austalia you have to get a collecters license to build these.

ct ertz- its possible maybe one day. so many ideas floating through the old noggin!

stevo-if enough people really wanted the sten i suppose i could nock one out fairly quick. it is a relativily simple design.

ryanshort-i do plan on something in the M-16 family just havnt settled on a game plan yet.

of couurse things could change when i actually come to deciding the next one but i was considering the stg-44 or a 1836 flintlock. maybe ill run a poll when i get to that point.

the ak is unfolding right nice except the clip is giving a bit of a fit.