PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-11-2009, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Looks great Glen. I like the added touch to the engine plate. Very nice :D
Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Don Thanks! Dan too! Chris, I think for the price this kit is ok, but I wouldn't probably build it if not for this event. Willy thanks, do you recognize that one:D
canopy progress
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/e...ddsends017.jpg
Old 02-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Looking really good!

How are you attaching the transparencies by the way? No glue in my house holds it with any strength whatsoever.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Kuba,
Let me chip in...
This was suggested in some other thread and for me it works like a charm - Glass Tac Acrylic Double-Face Tape - avialable in your friendly Home Depot.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Gharbad, I have been using ca glue. I crease the front piece to fit and tack the paper frame to the transparency with glue stick glue to get the parts where I would like them, then touch a bit of ca to the paper, soaks through to the plastic and strenghthens the frame. With really thin plastic like the rear little panes, I used only the glue stick glue, but this is risky, could fall out. The canopy to body junction I used ca glue gel.(cautiously)
I don't for any means think this is the only way, just was used here. If I use glue stick glue I apply with a toothpick to spread over areas of the paper frame and immediately attach parts. I started doing canopies this way some years ago with fg models and it still works for me whatever I build, gonna have to get some of that tape to try though too

Last edited by birder; 02-11-2009 at 10:16 PM. Reason: didn't sound right, better?
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2009, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
I guess I need to try that better tape. I managed it once with regular transparent tape, but it's so random I hate doing it. I do live beside a Home Depot equivalent...

I tried the supposed CA glue I have, but it's terrible and holds almost as bad as the PVA. Unless dollar store quality superglue is just that bad? It holds a bit, but if you so much as tap it it'll let go.

I don't know what kind of glue stick you have, but mine barely holds paper together :p

My best effort so far was to cut tiny holes in the plastic, and let some PVA come through. That way it was attached to the paper as with a bolt, rather than actually gluing it. It's just annoying work and isn't always an option.

I'll have to experiment some more I guess. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharbad View Post
I tried the supposed CA glue I have, but it's terrible and holds almost as bad as the PVA. Unless dollar store quality superglue is just that bad? It holds a bit, but if you so much as tap it it'll let go.

Most definately cheap super glue is not worth the money spent. The hobby store variety although stubstantially more expensive works a whole lot better at least in my experience.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Old 02-11-2009, 11:33 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I'm going to add my 2 cents. I found JOZR5007 JOZ SUPER RCZ56 GLUE at my local hobby store and love it. It is almost like the paste you worked with in elementary school in consistancy, is almost not sticky enough when wet - but dries absolutely clear and will wipe off fairly easily when still wet.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
How do you guys keep the canopies from "misting" when you use CA glue?
I tried that once and eventhough I was very careful in applying the glue, the canopy became a bit milky looking....
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've found that you need to glue the canopy to the frame and leave it off the model while curing. Also, I only use tiny little dots from the end of a toothpick. I've only done it twice, but it's worked both times.