PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-08-2009, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The folded pages is just how the booklet was printed - it looks like the MM models were printed on A2 sheet which was folded into 4 x A4 pages. I'd guess the parts sheets were printed on a flat bed printer. The booklets weren't trimmed to cut off the folds. Books used to be published this way - especially low volume academic books - to read the book you had to cut the pages apart.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 02-08-2009, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Go for it Rick!

I know what you mean about scanning and copying, never know when you might want to rebuild one a few times, possibly in different scales. Looking forward to your progress shots as you work your way through this one.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 PM

Just a quick post, holding true the MM world, parts P1/P2 which makes up the keel, do not match. P1 is just about 0.3mm narrower than P2. No problem, can be fixed, just lets you know what your in for when the 1st operation of construction already has a hurdle to overcome. Of course one must remember this is a hand drawn kit, not the computer designed/printed wonders of today. I see already I am going to enjoy this, I like a challenge, and that is what this build is about, take what you get and assemble as best you can:D.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
And if the first step is bad... it can only go downhill from there! Looks like a good challenge and you've got the right attitude to make it work!
Chris
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM

And a curious coincidence, Orel just released a brand new model of this ship!
Paper modelling
What timing!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 AM

Last night I entered the correct name and started looking for details for the Monitor. I found two photos after several hours of searching. One was a photo (BW) from the front as looking head on at the Monitor. The next photo is as she looks today as a monument in Kiev. This new kit is colored in the same manner as that one. I was a little taken aback by the red deck, but this appears to be correct. I have noway to verify the correctness of this as to what she looked like when she engaged the Germans at the onset of War. I was fascinated that not only did this craft defeat a overwhelming force, she also shot down a aircraft, though I have not been able to find the type aircraft. One's imagination can run the gambit and picture what if "the JU87 nosed over to drop it's load on the funny looking little craft, the plane screams as it dives, the pilot wanting to take out this beast that has killed so many of his fellow brothers is heading down straight at this rivercraft. In the heat of the engagement, he has dove to within the range of the AA guns on the Monitor, they open up. Shells burst into the nose of the JU87. The pilot never knew what hit him!" Justa thought. One more thing that maybe someone will know, as I look at the main structure which has X2 102mm cannon, I noticed in the real photography and as I look at the kit, there is a plate under this structure, I am willing to bet this hole structure is not just a pilot house, but in fact a big turret w/pilot attached to the top???? Again I can not find info in regards to this, but makes since that it would or your main battery was only good head on!

Last edited by Papercut; 02-10-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:04 AM

OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz Monitor Zeleznia 1981-monitor-zhelenyakov.jpg Here is photo of the new kit.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:14 AM

OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz Monitor Zeleznia 1981-001.jpgOh, forgot to show that the construction has really started. Fixed the mis-match of keel parts, now cutting and fitting formers. Will laminate the two deck parts today to insure all ribs make it to the edge of the deck or if any are too short. Best to check these things now while the are removable.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 AM

I found this about the turret;
"The Soviet River flotillas, first and foremost the Dnepr and Amur Flotillas, were equipped with monitors. Specially for the Dnepr flotilla, the first monitor Udarny with displacement of 252 tons was built at the Kiev Shipyards in 1934. Its artillery consisted of two 130-mm and two 45-mm guns. In 1936, the flotilla was reinforced with six new monitors of Zheleznyakov type. Each of them was armed with two 102-mm guns in the rotating turret and three 45-mm guns. "
Chris

Last edited by cjwalas; 02-10-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
I found this about the turret;
"The Soviet River flotillas, first and foremost the Dnepr and Amur Flotillas, were equipped with monitors. Specially for the Dnepr flotilla, the first monitor Udarny with displacement of 252 tons was built at the Kiev Shipyards in 1934. Its artillery consisted of two 130-mm and two 45-mm guns. In 1936, the flotilla was reinforced with six new monitors of Zheleznyakov type. Each of them was armed with two 102-mm guns in the rotating turret and three 45-mm guns. "
Chris
Again more facts come out. Thanks Chris. The more I find out, the more I am impressed with the technology of this little craft. Makes me think of a wolverine, small but very furious.
Google Adsense