PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-11-2009, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Oh another detail I just noticed, the 102mm main guns set far apart on each side of the turret. Makes sense if something is occupying the center of the turret.

Last edited by Papercut; 02-11-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I concur with your deductions, Mr. Holmes! Your description is exactly what I was thinking as well. It would be fun to see the turret in various positions. Ruling, please??
Chris
Old 02-12-2009, 08:03 PM

Got the frame together and working at adding pieces to keep the thing straight, keeps wanting to look like a side winder, LOL. Was looking at the deck and did not like how it was lined up, reprinted on business card stock and will re-do. Deciding if I want to open up a hatch at the front or the back, as well as a skylight. The kit version did not include the walls under each of these items, they just lay flat on deck, want to build up to look right if possible. The rotating turret would work, but would intel modifying the kit to do so and I at this time just want to build for the sake of the rules. However, I will re-do and add all the goodies to include the rotating turret. I now have several photos that let me see what was left off of the kit. The next one I will run thru Corel Photo Shop and correct the color. So for now, the build will be as it comes out of the booklet. But I have became very interested in this craft and believe a very nice piece can be had from it. The parts other than misalignment have went together well. Will post photos soon after deck is attached and hull is complete.:D Rick
Old 02-12-2009, 08:49 PM

Sounds like it's going well. I'm looking forward to the photos!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Wow, good start Rick. Looking forward to more shots of this interesting subject.

I notice you have a well-stocked, yet very organized work desk. I could take some lessons from you.
Google Adsense
Old 02-15-2009, 08:22 PM

Let me see, trial fit of frame, adjust, re-fit, adjust, re-fit, get the idea. Deck laminated to 0.5mm cardboard, did not like, reprinted deck and attached to bristol, didn't like that either, returned to the first one. Why, this was laminated the whole deck, as one piece, because the cardboard was long enough, just, to get both pieces on at same time. Bristol worked great, flat and stiff, but was too short for a single piece deck, would be in too parts that did not meet on a frame, figures. Turned assembly up-side down on a sheet of glass and w/Duco, glued the frame work a section at a time, lining up as I went. Duco grabs ahold on cardboard and stays put. Allowed to set awhile to cure out. Cutting bottom hull plating out to make ready to plate bottom of hull. Bought a set of Faber-Castell artist pens, the 24 pens size, #118 scarlet red, perfect match for the deck/hull red as printed. These things are just great for line work, you see they are filled w/waterproof drawing ink that as of yet, no bleed. Well worth the price that would choke a mule, I stood in Hobby Lobby for a hour deciding if I wanted to spend that much, I did, and I am glad now I did:D. Hull is straight and flat and after a little sanding on the bottom to fare in the hull, I will start attching the plating. I have to admit, this one turned out to be alot harder than I exspected, but not unbuildable, just challenging:o. Looks like I will be building right up to the deadline if I keep having to adjust 3 times before gluing. Thanks (boosed) for the tip on the Faber-Castell pens. Rick
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz Monitor Zeleznia 1981-007.jpg   OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz Monitor Zeleznia 1981-008.jpg  
Old 02-15-2009, 09:43 PM

That's good to know they have those pens at Hobby Lobby! Looks like the model's coming along well too.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Looks like this is forming nicely. Other than the deck, is the fit good? I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a MM kit of this or wait for the Orel version.
Chris
Old 02-16-2009, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Looking good for an old MM kit Rick. These things can be so trial-and-error. Don't be surprised if you back up and putt again many times during this build.

Onward soldier! Keep up the good work.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Looks like this is forming nicely. Other than the deck, is the fit good? I'm trying to decide whether to pick up a MM kit of this or wait for the Orel version.
Chris
Chris, I am sure the new version is way ahead in the print department. I have downloaded several photos of Orel's kit and the only thing I have seen differant is a few items on the rear deck as compaired to MM's. I for one like the old collectable kits, and some will shudder, I like to build them too. The old kits require that extra determination to build and they have a charm all their own. For me I like my cake and to eat it too, buy both. The MM @Papermodel Store w/ship is around $14.00. I am not sure about Orel's cost. I plain to build just as it comes out of the kit. After I learn all her little secrets, I will redo with all the details added MM left off. 2 ball brass rail post, brass wire railing, port holes glazed, micro-scope slide glass pilot house windows, scale pewter guns so on an so forth. This Monitor is in a scale that detailing is very easy with all the parts available for this scale. That includes figures. My vote MM's kit. Oh yea, re-scale to 1/72 scale. Rick
Google Adsense