PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhorse View Post
That's good to know they have those pens at Hobby Lobby! Looks like the model's coming along well too.
Jim, I have followed your thread very closely and I know a detailer when I see one, get a set, you will not be sorry you did.:DRick
Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 PM

Sorry Chris, forgot to answer your 1st question. When I started this kit, I was concerned about the fit. Like everyone else who builds todays wonders, I am used to cut, shape and glue. I forget the older kits require a bit of finess, and upon careful cutting and following as best I can the instructions, which are limited to a few detail drawings and a line drawing of the craft, I have found fit problems has not been the kits fault, but mine! You do not build these like a new kit. Study and study some more the object you are assembling, then and only then apply and execute the gluing and assembly. So to answer your question, after you are sure of the assemblies steps, the fit for a kit of this age is good.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eibwarrior View Post
Looking good for an old MM kit Rick. These things can be so trial-and-error. Don't be surprised if you back up and putt again many times during this build.

Onward soldier! Keep up the good work.
eib, I agree, but I am hoping I follow my advice to Chris and study before I throw myself into the step for that part of the assembley. The real trick to any of them is if you have too back up, don't keep backing up, putt as many times as it takes. Move forward during the build. And in answer to you orders: Aye Aye, Cap'in. :DRick
Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 PM

I just noticed, we have a baker's dozen building in this little party of MM's.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Eternal Member

It's looking good. Just as an aside deck plates should not join over a frame join them with a fish plate each side of the spine.

Google Adsense
Old 02-16-2009, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the tip Barry. Had the two decks matched in their wideth I would have done that trick, but the issue of wanting the closest match I could get, the deck needed to be laminated onto a single length of card. If I do as I stated and resize to 1/72 scale, I will have to do the deck as two parts, I will do the tip you have suggested w/the addition of an additional cross frame under it as well. Heck I am sure if I resize I will have to modify more than one thing along the way. I believe this puppy scaled to 1/72 and using 1/72 figures would result into a remarkable piece for my desk. Thanks for your input. Rick
Old 02-19-2009, 06:30 PM

With much sadness today I must withdraw from the build. Due to illness and a surgery scheduled for the 5th of March, I will not have the time to keep building right now. I will at some point restart the thread for the Monitor. I thank all those who showed a interest and researched this subject. I may not post for awhile, but I will check in as time allows to keep up with my friends. Rick
Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Rick,
That's terrible news. I am very sorry to hear it and I wish you the very best for dealing with your illness and surgery. I'll be hoping that the doctor says paper models are good therapy for healing and you can get back to this one ASAP. Please check in as often as you can and let us know how everything is going.
Chris
Old 02-19-2009, 07:25 PM

I wish you a successful treatment and rapid recovery. Please keep us posted.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Good luck with everything, hope to see you soon.