PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz Monitor Zeleznia 1981

OK, I'm in, noticed that no one else has entered a ship or rather a Monitor. Will post some photos soon. Looks like a interesting build. This will be the oldest by today's standards paper kit I have built except for the one's while stationed in FRG during the 70's.
Google Adsense
Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM

Forgot to up-load picture of kit.OTDAEABT 2-Maly Modelarz Monitor Zeleznia 1981-monitor-20zelezniakow.jpg
Old 02-04-2009, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Really looking forward to this one. This is the Russian river monitor, isn't it? I've always wanted to do this kit, so I hope it comes together well!
Chris
Old 02-04-2009, 09:48 PM

Chris I do believe you are right. I have been researching Russian Monitors for a couple a days and so far I have not been able to find anything on this river craft. Maybe someone on the forum will have some info. Should be an interesting build, kit is 1:100 scale and has enough details to make her look like a war ship. The card the kit is printed on is the big question, kit is dtd 3/81, which means w/in another month, this kit will be 28 years old. Will more than likely scan and re-print on new card stock, too brittle too use as is? So I am ready to start this puppy and post a photo or two. You know what I found interesting, while researching her I found that the USSR up to this century had build a modern day river Monitor. Speaks of the design after all these years. Help me out here, but I believe the U.S. Navy has experimented with Stealth design in warships that mimic the monitors with the mass of the hull under water with a low profile superstructure. Anyway, this weekend should be able to show some progress. It's funny, I am building another Russian ship, the Russian Pre-Dreadnought Perevest, another interesting design. So I'm working on two at the same time. But I guess the Monitor will be the front burner until built.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Go Papercut Go!

An interesting choice and a good sized scale to boot. I will be watching this one with interest. The last river monitor I built was a resin kit in 1/400, being in the samller scale it wasn't nearly as detailed as you should be able to do with your kit.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Google Adsense
Old 02-05-2009, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I've seen articles on river monitors from time to time, and there has been at least one build in this forum of a WWII Soviet river monitor that used tank guns and turrets (the British also used tank guns and turrets in some of their support landing craft -- mounted them on LCTs). I think there were a number of such craft on the Danube over the years, as well as on Russian rivers and coastal waters.

It's an intriguing looking little ship -- with some of the characteristics of those Eastern European between-the-wars torpedo boats.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it. Based on your Dreadnought work, you should be able to produce a nice model, regardless of the quality of the kit.

Don
Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM

As I am sure many have discovered by now, I like to research the subject I am building. But this one has stumped me. From what I have been able to find which is very little, one photo from the front, looks like this monitor, not sure. The photo is apart of a caption, "The Dunai River Russian Military Flotilla, 1941, Monitor." I have not been able to id anything else, not even what this part of the campaign was during WWII. That means this Monitor was in use at the beginning of WWII and I am not certain, but I believe against the IJA. I believe the river runs thru Asian , ie: India? Have not found any other info. Can tell you this, Russia used monitors, fast attack boats and as has been brought out by boosed, a really neat Monitor complete with tank turrets during WWII. On another web site, found that as recently as within the 70's/80's, the USSR was still building a river assault Monitor. I am really looking forward to building this beast. Rick:D
Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Wrong side of Russia I think...

Dunai is the old Russian name for the Danube - I'd guess this boat was used in the early part of the GPW. I've ntoiced that Maly Modelarz has model subjects which are tied to stories or TV shows that we don't know about in the West. For example the MM T-34s are often named "Rudy" from a Polish TV show. I wouldn't be surprised if this gun boat was in a heroic action which was popularised in Poland.

regards,

Charlie
Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 PM

CharlieC, thanks for the info. That sheds more light on this subject. Now more than ever I hope to know where, when and how this river monitor was used.:D
Old 02-05-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadhead1952 View Post
Go Papercut Go!

An interesting choice and a good sized scale to boot. I will be watching this one with interest. The last river monitor I built was a resin kit in 1/400, being in the samller scale it wasn't nearly as detailed as you should be able to do with your kit.

Jay Massey
treadhead1952
Las Vegas, NV
Jay, I have to admit, my ole eyes won't let me do the small stuff anymore. So the scale is right and the subject gets my juices to flowing. Too anyone who reads this, I can not stress enough, good lighting to see by. Eye strain, trying to work w/o good lighting will blur your vision. I have bought $200.00 worth of Ott-lites and a set of those flip up head mags w/a light attached to the side. My wife said I looked like Dr. Frankenstein at work. And it takes all that to see to cut those thin little lines. I struggled w/the Dreadnought and will say now and here, 1:200 or larger for me, thank you. Rick:D PS: watching your build as well, really like what you did with the life boats.
Google Adsense