PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 07-01-2009, 06:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I look forward to seeing the finished model when you have the chance to complete it, Kuba. You have certainly done a superb job on this airplane, which is one of my favorites.

Don
Old 07-01-2009, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I have a degree too! It's 98.6 and I don't see why all the fuss about it!
(bad joke).
Congratulations Kuba!

Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Personally I prefer Celcius Phil

Part of why I haven't been working on it even when I had some time was because I saw trouble ahead. The wings aren't very well designed... in fact they're pretty bad.

The skins just don't make much sense. The bottom is clearly larger than the top by a few %, and aligning the edges gives a terrible warp. The tail section did the same thing actually, but they were small so I didn't care.

I decided on aligning the skins, because I really did not want to mess up the detail. I could not redraw anything better...

Because of that, I simplified the air brakes. I decided it wasn't worth the effort if the rest of the model isn't up to par. I simply punched the holes and attached some formers to box it in. Because you can barely see the stuff I already made, even with great effort, there's no inconsistency really.

OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2713.jpg

Now here was another issue... the air brake holes were spaced insanely close. They were all touching pretty much. I didn't want to change the size from the previous part, so I punched every other hole. Very inaccurate, since even the original had too few holes, but I think it's an acceptable approximation.

OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2714.jpg

And now we go to warp factor 5...

OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2716.jpg

I tried to straighten it a bit and ended up making an ugly crease (not pictured).
My consolation is that you have to look at it from this angle to see the warp really, so I'm thinking overall it will still look pretty good.
Oh well, I trudge on.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:07 PM

I can see the crease!

But seriously, I think you made wise decisions, Kuba, given the cards you were dealt with this model. It looks good to me and, even with the (technical) deviation from the original dive brake perforations, you have accurately captured the look and image of the airplane (far more than just the general impression of size and shape, or "jizz" as birders say).

This will be even more true when the wings are attached and seen in the overall context of the model.

Don
Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 PM

You see a crease The big one is on the top. But thanks for your support!

I did some cockpit stuff like the seats, though not installed yet.
The second wing is in progress, all cut out, just waiting for assembly.

I had to cut out slots for the front machine guns into the cowling. It came out surprisingly good, though I'll need to touch up the edges with some paint. The black stripe on the top is the inside of an air intake, and it's misaligned from me trimming the cowling rings to fit properly.
(Prop is still loose)
OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2719.jpg

The rear machine gun needed to be scratchbuilt. The instructions gave a crude little 1:1 side view, and I followed that. Sadly almost every thing I can find online has a double machine gun, a random website did say they used a single one and the double was an upgrade. The cover art for this kit shows the single machine gun, so maybe it's accurate, I don't know.
It looks pretty good, waiting to be painted.

OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2717.jpg

The ammo belt is just a strip of paper folded into a tight accordion, does a decent job I think.

Here's an overall view, things just lying beside each other.

OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2718.jpg
Old 07-11-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm pretty sure the standard rear cockpit armament on the Speedy-3 was a twin .50-cal., Kuba. Shrike or Charlie C. will know for sure.

But I'm certain that there were a couple of them flying around out in the Pacific with a single gun at one time or another, so I would never sharpshoot your model on that score. Dan will come up with a good story to explain how it happened.

I really like that engine, cowling, and prop assembly and the shot of the parts just lying beside each other shows that you really have captured the appearance of the airplane and reminds me why I love the Dauntless.

Don
Old 07-11-2009, 09:45 PM

Single or double .30's in the aft cockpit. Early ones had a single in a classic Scarff ring, evolving to a twin mount with armoured gun-shield. I appears to have been a field mod kit, so any variation inbetween could be right.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:20 PM

Good to know, thanks.
This kit mounts the gun on an arm emerging from inside the fuselage, by the way.

The wing is almost done... tomorrow I should have the whole thing glued together and move onto details.

I can't wait to go at a modern kit
Old 07-12-2009, 01:14 AM

Not only cowling and slots but scratchbuilt rear machine gun is so nice
Old 07-12-2009, 07:38 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Excellent progress