PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 07-12-2009, 07:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Coming along very well, Kuba. I look forward to seeing this beauty done. You're doing an excellent job despite some shortcomings in the design.
Chris
Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Thanks guys!

Not as much progress as I hoped, I was getting very distracted today for some reason.
I glued together everything, so it's now a plane! Looks almost the same as the last picture, but it has two wings now

OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2720.jpg

Main landing gear is almost done, just need to paint the wheels.
Other than that, I need to do the canopy which shouldn't be too bad, and then minor details.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm looking at the kit, and I'm really impressed with what you've done with this.

Of course, you do know what you need to do next? Take up Dan's challenge and do the Halinski version :D I'm looking at that one now, and in your hands, that would turn into a pure work of art!
Old 07-13-2009, 04:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It does look great, Kuba. Jim is correct -- now that you have a feel for the airplane, it's time for you to start the Halinski version (part of our plot to keep you building WWII U.S. Navy airplanes).

Don
Old 07-13-2009, 05:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Looking good!
I heard opinions that this is one of the "unbuildable" kits, but you are proving that the plane can be build and achieve excellent result.
Google Adsense
Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 PM

I'm glad you guys like it. This is definitely the most modification I've ever done to a model, and it seems it's worth it

Though the Dauntless is growing on me as a really cool plane, I want a good break from it. Maybe some day...
I already have my next two models planned, actually. Hopefully well fitting and supposedly easy :p

I really wanted to finish the canopy today, but I made a really stupid mistake. I was trying the double-sided tape approach suggested by someone... I never remember (sorry!). Anyways, I did a test piece which worked, then on the real thing I attached the plastic before cutting out the frames. So I started cutting.. and was left with a useless frame. I had to scan and reprint, and it looks the same, so no damage I guess. I'll finish that off tomorrow.

I finished the front section sans exhaust pipes. First I had to shape the piece, looks pretty interesting. The machine gun slots are then 2 parts, bottom half has a wall and the top is a cavity.
OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2721.jpg

The guns are a rectangle rolled into a tube, and I cut off a notch to fit the cavity vs wall.
OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2722.jpg

Glued in, I think it looks pretty cool. I'm happy with the front in general.
OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2725.jpg

Most annoying thing is the coloring I did... doesn't fit perfectly and isn't consistent. At a distance it looks ok though. I think I need to invest in those quality pens people rave about or get more patience with paint.

You can also see the pilot's chair. All that stuff has been done a while but not glued in until now.

Shot of the landing gear. You can see the rear wheel out of focus in the distance.
OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2724.jpg

The model provides the two hard points you can see in the photo, but not the bombs for it. Think I should make some? They do look kind of useless right now.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:20 PM

So the thing is 99% done.

Turns out I lost a piece... it's a little bulge on the tail, I don't know if it was a light or what. Oh well, doesn't matter.
I also have 4 strips of blue, #32. No idea where it's supposed to go, and haven't found a need for it.

The only legitimate thing remaining is the bomb. For some reason, the kit doesn't include the front segment. I'm just supposed to make it. Maybe he ran out of space?

Anyways, here's a photo just to prove I'm not lying

OTDAEABT 2 - Maly Modelarz SBD-3 Dauntless-img_2727.jpg

I'll take more tomorrow when it's finished (and when the sun isn't down!)
Old 07-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Seeing the last photo it is hard to believe this is one of the unbuildable kits. Its the proof that your modification work was superb!
Old 07-14-2009, 07:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Looks fantastic, Kuba! Makes me want to try this one myself!
Chris
Old 07-14-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gharbad View Post
I also have 4 strips of blue, #32. No idea where it's supposed to go, and haven't found a need for it.
seems like the arrow points towards #28,29,30,31
to wrap around pilot's cabin ?

Quote:
The only legitimate thing remaining is the bomb. For some reason, the kit doesn't include the front segment. I'm just supposed to make it. Maybe he ran out of space?
instructions recommend using modeler's clay or round piece of wood
Google Adsense