PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 04-13-2009, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I didn't want to bring up the banana. But you fixed it like I thought you would. This is actually interesting to watch.

Carl
Old 04-13-2009, 06:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Interesting build. I liked your story too, I just saw cousin of the near-sighted bull as road kill west of Ft. Worth.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:06 AM

Wings - Jerzy's Return

On to the wings.
Looking at previously expressed expectations, I was right on both counts. They were easier than the PWS-10, and less accurate as well.

Each wing is made of four skins - a constant chord, constant section centre, two tapered panels and a wing tip. The only ribs are at the edges of the middle sections. The joint between halves is supposed to be made with nothing more than a strip wrapped around the outside, so I added a few bits of scrap cardboard to connect the spars together.

The first wing went together pretty easily, although the outer panel had a huge amount of washout (twist) with the trailing edges aligned. Rather than trim it, I decided to wait and see if it was equal and symmetrical on the opposite wing.

Ha.

The fit of the tapered sections was off by between 1 and 2mm. Nothing that can't be trimmed after gluing, but it meant that I did go back to the first wing, slice it open and fix that. End result is a reasonably straight wing, but lets look at it in the last picture.

First we notice the splotch where Jerzy set a steaming mug of tea on the wing and caused the dope to blush. We also notice those dots in the straight sections and the white(ish) squares on the joint in the middle.

Strut locations.

Which would be fine if the red side were the bottom, where the struts attach instead of the top of the wing. Not a big deal really, but it fills me with a sense of foreboding about the fit of said and aforementioned struts.
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3374.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3392.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3393.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3397.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3398.jpg  

Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 PM

Some more progress to report, but less to actually show. Most of the pictures I took this time around were unusable.

The rudder an horizontal stab went together without any major problems, just little trimming around the edges. Had a minor snag trying to fit the assembly to the fuselage as the turtledeck was a few mm too long. A couple of notches and things fit well enough.

Anticipating major hassles with fitting the wing I was pleasantly surprised to only find minor hassles. The cabane struts were not symmetrical as drawn and so needed to be trimmed about 1mm on one side. The aft set turned out to be just about that much to short to reach the indicated spots on the top of the fuselage, but they lined up OK with the forward set. Not even going to try to work out which error was in error.

The lift struts went to their assigned spots without complaint. The strut ends area little messy, but the end result is a surprisingly sturdy structure.

Jury struts, landing gear, prop and fiddly bits left to do...on this portion...
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3403.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3405.jpg  
Old 04-26-2009, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It looks great, Mark!

Don
Google Adsense
Old 04-27-2009, 09:58 PM

Finished with Part 1

The landing gear went together with the collection of struts that's normal for an aircraft this vintage. A little trim here and tweak there, the worst part being the registration on the folded struts.

Here ends Part 1
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3408.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3410.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3411.jpg  
Old 04-28-2009, 06:35 AM

Outstanding struttery, Mark.

Something about this airplane reminds me of the Comper Swift.

Don
Old 04-28-2009, 06:51 AM

It's the belly of the fuselage I think. They are almost exactly the same size. The Swift is marginally faster on 45 fewer horses, but the RWD probably has it in rate of climb and aerobatic ability.
Evidently in testing a PZL P.11 was unable to shake the RWD in a mock dogfight.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:51 AM

I think you're right, Mark. The fuselage shape and the short landing gear, along with the parasol wing (which looks vaguely like the fuselage-top-mounted Swift wing to my eye), and the colors, which I associate with Comper Swifts, even though the Swift came in many different colors, all add up to the Swift gis in my mind's eye.

Very interesting about the ability of the RWD to tussel with a PZL P.11.

It looks like the RWD would make a very nice, sweet flying stick-and-tissue rubber-powered free flight model. I believe I have seen some such in the past.

Don
Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Not surprisingly, you've done a great job on this one! I really like the look of this plane and I think you should get "original paper" credit!
Chris
Google Adsense