PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 04-30-2009, 05:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
How about the Aichi D3A Type 99 Kanbaku (Val)? Also an approximation? Or does that wing count as ellliptical?

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 04-30-2009 at 05:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Similarly - Hawker Tempest/Fury - planform looks pretty elliptical to me.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 04-30-2009, 06:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
And add A5M. That's what I get for over-generalizing. I'll still stick with 'uncommon and not 100% worth it' and raise you 30,000+ Bf109's and all the Mustangs <G>
Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Thanks Mark! You know the Spit has an edge in overall grace and asthetic appeal to me, besides the fact that when banked up it could outturn about anybody (just not inverted cough sputter cough).
Old 04-30-2009, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
Thanks Mark! You know the Spit has an edge in overall grace and asthetic appeal to me, besides the fact that when banked up it could outturn about anybody (just not inverted cough sputter cough).
The Zero was a better dogfighter than the Spitfire - the RAAF found that out when they took on Zeroes over Darwin - the pilots, who had fought against the Luftwaffe in the Middle East, found that the Zero could outturn the Spitfire. In the end the Spitfire squadrons had to adopt the "boom" and "zoom" tactics of the P-40s against the Zeroes. By this time (1942) the inverted flight issue was fixed by the additional inverted flight float chamber on the carbs.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2009, 11:52 PM

Part 2

Enough with aerodynamics, we now move on to part 2 of the kit.

This Czajka-bis is a primary glider, which, just like it sounds, is a basic a flying machine as you are likely to find. This particular one is an advanced model, with a streamlined pod and cockpit giving a little better glide ratio. It was designed by Antoni Kocjan, a renowned designer and Polish patriot.

Starting off with the tail boom. Folded square tubes about 3.5mm across. A sane person would have substituted balsa stock, but if I were that sane I probably wouldn't be doing this. Up until now I thought the original paper was too coarse to really have a grain, but I was wrong. And ofcourse it runs the wrong way for the long members.

The fin and rudder wrap around the end, meaning you have to leave the aft most member out until the rudder is halfway on. The frond end is similarly interwoven with the pod, so the foremost vertical has to wait until there is some more done.
The rigging is my favourite elastic stuff, and I think it actually IS structural on this.
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Ma&#322;y Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3413.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Ma&#322;y Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3414.jpg  
Old 05-01-2009, 04:56 AM

Excellent beginning, Mark. You sure have a good eye and a steady hand. I have NEVER been able to fold square cross-section tubes and have them come out right.

Your framework looks very neat and dress-right-dress.

Don
Old 05-02-2009, 12:33 PM

The fuselage, err pod, err thingie is made in the same fashion as the fuselage on the RWD. The sides and bottom join together along long seams and the formers are just sort of glued in place. This one fortunately had much better markings for their locations, and was only a third of the length so it was much easier. The cockpit is just a bit of lightweight paper and a simple card seat that help define the shape a little.

The forward top deck fit up pretty nicely. It's creased to have a peak at the aft end that runs out and turns flat as it wraps around the nose. Not a perfect fit that, but acceptable, and better than I thought it would be when I started gluing it.

The aft deck took a lot of trimming to fit around the elements of the boom. I ended up gluing the front vertical member of the tail boom to the aft bulkhead to have a known location to trim to. The deck piece was too long all around - which is better than being too short I suppose. Easy enough to trim the back end to fit the boom, but on the front I decided to tuck the long ends (around the cockpit opening) under the forward decking. It doesn't look too bad and probably turned out better than trying to cut fit and seam it together.
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Ma&#322;y Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3427.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Ma&#322;y Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3430.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Ma&#322;y Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3434.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Ma&#322;y Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3437.jpg  
Old 05-02-2009, 12:58 PM

A very nice neat piece of work.

Don
Old 05-10-2009, 07:46 PM

I related in another thread my latest method for dealing with notches. This was the inspiration for that as there are a scale number of ribs in this wing. If I remember correctly it's twenty-eight of them.

The spars are joined in the middle and the skin is wrapped in three sections so the whole structure has to go togoether before it gets wrapped.

With only single spar, I added a lot of little triangular gussets between the ribs and spar in hopes of adding some rigidity. The third picture shows how well that worked out.
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Ma&#322;y Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3441.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Ma&#322;y Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3443.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Ma&#322;y Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3444.jpg