PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Toddlea's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That Contest

Old 05-10-2009, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The skin on the wing is very much a structural component. On the first try to skin the centre section I made two discoveries. First was that the skin, while made out of the thin 24lb-ish paper usually found for instructions and templates, wrinkles but creases, but it doesn't bend worth a damn. Second was that all of the ribs were just enough oversize to prevent closing the trailing edge.

I was able to trim all of the ribs, even after I had tacked the skin on the bottom with a pair of sharp wire cutters. The rulers in the first picture were used to smooth the skin over the ribs evenly. The one sat there for a day weighing down the paper to aid in forming.

After that, the outer sections were easier. I clamped the trailing edges together and let them sit on the bench for a day and a half before attaching them. This let them relax into at least the start of the right shape.
The rigidity afforded by the skinned centre section made it, if not a snap, at least doable.

Note that only one of the last two pieces, the wing tips is in colour. Luckily the yellow marker I have is close enough. I'll still blame it of Jerzy.
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3446.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3447.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3448.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Nice job making those parts work Mark, it looks like some persistance needed with the wing. The fuse, tail, cockpit pod look cool. Should be neat combo and unique!
Old 05-10-2009, 09:29 PM

And Finished

Last two pictures

First, mounting up the wing. It's proven ever so much easier to put the airplane on the wing than the wing on the airplane. Even here wheres there's one attach point on the fuselage and only 2 struts.

Second - Finished. The wing span is 45cm and the wing is quite rigid after it's earlier floppineness. The two struts tie everything together and it sits pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
#7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3449.jpg   #7 / #13 - OTDAEABT 2 Mały Modelarz  RWD-10 7/88-img_3452.jpg  
Old 05-11-2009, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Now the only question is, will it fly?:D Congratulations on getting through this one. I'm not a fan of gliders, but I do like the design of this one.
Chris
Old 05-11-2009, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You have certainly had to overcome some obstacles -- not to mention coping with poor Jerzy! But the final result is an appealing glider and a good stablemate for the RWD-10.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2009, 05:36 PM

Will it fly was a question I asked myself a couple of times during construction. If i added enough weight to the nose, yes, but probably not very well.
My brother built a stick and tissue primary once. 24" span with 1/32 square built up ribs and no cockpit pod. Pretty build. Still glided like a brick<G>