PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 02-26-2008, 08:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks, Dan. How did you sort out the undercarriage issue with the Beaufort?

Don
Old 02-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I'm using some 1/8" wooden dowel I picked up at the hobby store (for a grand total of $0.27 with tax). I've been working on it a little here and there - hoping I can meet the deadline myself. I haven't gotten any bits to a completed stage, so I haven't felt like posting any pic's up. I think I have it all planned, it's just a matter of execution at this point. With the dowel and changing the assembly just a bit I'm actually pretty sure I'll have a good base to support the weight of the plane.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:59 AM

The doweling approach sounds pretty good. I think I will also glue a carved balsa block behind the underside skin of each nacelle to provide a solid anchor for the u/c struts.

The latest surprise is that the formers for the nacelles are significantly undersized! See red arrows in Photo 1 (and please ignore the crinkled leading edge).

I've decided to glue the nacelle frames onto the wing stubs before attaching the wings to the fuselage. This will insure the surface of the wing matches up with the inner curve of the nacelle keel, as I can push from the inside while the glue dries to eliminate the gaps shown in Photo 2.

Then I am going to bulk up the formers with strips of thin card and attach the skins, leaving the cowlings off. I may also put some of the fiddly bits on the fuselage before attaching the wing/nacelle structures.

I've got a little free time this morning and am cutting out the rings that will make up the front of the Hampden cowlings (the exhaust collector rings). I anticipate a lot of test fitting and adjusting in the assembly process.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-36.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-37.jpg  
Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.60 MB
The Hampden is coming along quite good.

I like the nacelle assembly sequence, did a Maly B-24 and should have used this approach, would have fit up to the wing much better.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Have you dry-fit the skins around the nacelle frame? I'd be making sure that the formers are really undersized to the skins and not just the outline on the wing before I spent a lot of time building thickness. It'd be my luck that I build up the former thickness to match the wing, then the skin is too small.
If the skin fits correctly as the frames sit currently, then it's just a matter of coloring the edges of the white area rather than a 'building' fix - which would certainly save you some time.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Eternal Member

Don-
Those are great looking cowlings. Hope I can see the Hampton "in the paper" some day. If you can trust me around it. I'm still trying to finish a wood tugboat (not paper wood, wood wood: I would wouldn't I?) I keep looking speculatively at the G38 and at my HS&S S.M.S. Sachsen (1878 Panzerkorvette.)

Jim
Old 02-26-2008, 02:45 PM

Dan -- Excellent advice. So far, it appears that the frames are too small for the skins, too, but I will measure carefully before doing anything irrevocable. Thanks for the reminder.

Jim -- Always good to hear from you. The rest of you should know that more than a half a century ago, as we would sit around talking about models and history and aviation and boats and trains, Jim tended to absentmindedly turn the props on my stick-and-tissue models until the rubber broke. But he was and is an infinitely better modeler than I, and I have learned a lot from him over the years.

Don
Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
build

What fun to have such knowledge and history, and enjoying watching this build Don, your skills are excellent and clean work shows. When I started learning about aircraft a few years ago I was amazed how much was considered common knowledge amoung the aircraft enthusiasts that I had yet to learn about! Now that I've been at the hanger listening to some of the pilots this is particularly true!
G
Old 02-26-2008, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Don, I can see that your engines are looking very good. I noticed that inside each circular part of the engines nacelles there are strips to get them together. That's very nice on the kit.

Are the propellers made to rotate?

Also, I guess you can go with completing the wings before attaching the engines. Less weight. I would like to see a detail photo of the way you are going to complete the wings.

My friend, you have FULL schedule!!! Just remember to eat and sleep appropriately... because I very often forget to do it with regarding modeling.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Eternal Member

Nice work Don
Google Adsense