PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-13-2008, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Would that I could find a 1:33 Wellington (and Stirling too) - wait, wait!! I'm supposed to be reducing inventory!
Old 01-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post

Charlie -- That 452 Sqd was using "UD" ALMOST rules it out for Hampdens, except that 517 (C) Squadron used Hampdens into 1943 and I haven't been able to determine its code letters. Nonetheless, I am prepared to chalk it up as an error until new info comes to light. Of course, there is still the brown/tan/sky camouflage scheme with white letters . . .

Don
517 Sqdn was a meteorological squadron - as far as I can determine the code on these aircraft was "X9". http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/517_wwII.html

Regards,

Charlie
Old 01-13-2008, 04:16 PM

1:33 Halifax is all I could offer
Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the info and website, Charlie. Bonzer gen!

I'm already getting into trouble with the Hampden. No way I could handle a Halibag!

Don
Old 01-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Eternal Member

Good looking start Don
Google Adsense
Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Status Report

Well, now I am beginning to run into trouble. The formers for the forward section required considerable adjustment (sanding down in one case and thickening with additional paper strips in the other) and I am finding that the color and panel lines do not match up.

There are also some flaws in the match up of the butt joints (largely the result of uneven cutting and some haste on my part) and it is clear that all photos will have to be taken from the starboard side.

This is my first 1/33 model and I am learning a lot in the process. I'm building it just as it comes with the only modifications so far being to cut off the tabs and reglue them under the fuselage skins and to glue cardboard reinforcing strips to keep the formers from bending as I jam them into the fuselage sections by brute force.

Progress will slow down next week as I work on revisions of my book, but I hope to show further progress by mid-week.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-04.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-05.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-06.jpg  
Old 01-13-2008, 11:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Still looking pretty good, despite the colours and markings and unfamiliarity with 1/33.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looks good - and I'll take a saki salmon since you've got the sushi menu out
Old 01-14-2008, 07:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Oh very nice! It is fun to see builds of these old models. Nice job too, Don. How's the paper quality of the kit?

Carl
Old 01-14-2008, 09:32 AM

All -- Thanks for the kind comments. I'm embarrassed to put my work out there in front of the likes of you all (youens in Central Pennsylvania speak). It isn't even in the ball park with Ted's Yak-3, Dan's GeeBee and BF-109, and Carl's incredible cuirassés français. But having jumped into the deep end of the pool, I am determined to struggle through to the end. My Hampden may turn out warped and lumpy, but it will be a learning experience.

Dan -- One of my favorites, too. Are you going to do the Beaufort? I hope so!

Carl -- The paper is .0105"/.26mm thick, with a matt surface. It's durable and rolls okay, but it has a kind of granular texture that makes it impossible to cut thin strips. I was going to use surplus paper from the kit to make the thin strips to enlarge the under-size former in the nose section, but while the first cut went okay, the second cut ~1mm away just caused the paper to curl and break up, even though I was using a brand new Excel #11 blade. I cut the strips from good old Wausau Exact Bristol with no problem at all.

I did not spray the paper with fixative before starting work, although after reading the discussion of same, I plan to start trying that out in the future.

The next step is the long tail boom -- I have difficulty getting such structures to come out straight, true, and square at the best of times, and plan to wait until this evening to take several deep breaths and give it a go.

Incidentally, if Charlie is on the line, I found a reference to a Coastal Command Hampden with white code letters in William Green's Famous Bombers of the Second World War, Vol. 2 (Garden City, NY: Hanover House, 1960). It is aircraft XA Y, a T.B.1 (AN127) of 489 (New Zealand) Squadron in 1942. The caption to the painting says it was in temperate sea: dark slate grey and sea grey over "sky grey" with white code letters and black serial. Type B roundels on the upper surfaces, none on the lower, and type C roundels without the yellow surround on the fuselage. As I recall, however, some of Green's camouflage color descriptions have since been called into question.

More later. Now I'm off to the Military History Institute reading room to submerge myself in Army amphibious developments in the 1930s.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 01-14-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Google Adsense