PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-25-2008, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Aviation Hystery

Thanks to Ron for his fascinating historical insight, based on extensive archival research on three continents, including oral history interviews of the only surviving members of the Hampden-Meteor-Composite experiment, Squadron Leader Mortimer Saint John Cheddington-Bixley, Leading Aircraftsman Timothy Bottom, and the famous American barnstormer, racing pilot, and Yank in the RAF John (Smilin’ Jack) Rickenlittle.

But truth is stranger than fiction: http://www.historyofaircargo.com/i-T...y-and-Mai.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Mayo_Composite,
http://aeroweb.lucia.it/rap/RAFAQ/Zveno.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zveno_project

And fiction is also stranger than fiction: Does anyone remember the novel about the Short Empire Flying boat in the course of which the flying boat was refueled in the air, one of the passengers was eaten by a crocodile, and a deranged pilot tried to shoot down the flying boat with a Schneider Cup racer he had armed with a couple of machine guns?
Keep ‘em flying!

Don
(Source of photo of Short Empire Cambria being refueled by an Armstrong-Whistworth AW-23 bomber: http://www.century-of-flight.net/Avi...and%20fall.htm)
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-cambria.jpg  
Old 01-25-2008, 12:43 PM

Video of Mayo Composite

And here is a video of the Short Mayo Composite experiment that includes footage of the Mercury float plane taking off from the Short Empire flying boat Maia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYtazEBQ1K8

Ron -- Do I get extra credit for hijacking my own thread? And for misspelling "Whitworth"?

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 01-25-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
You get extra credit for just about anything you do...just not from me

The newsreel footage is outstanding!

Last edited by member_3; 01-25-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:18 AM

The Reason I’m Behind

I’m falling desperately behind in the OTDAEABT Contest. All you others are cranking out your models like Billy O and some, like Chris and Demented John are on their SECOND models! Here’s one reason: last weekend, Lil and I went down to Falls Church, Virginia, to participate in the Cub Scout Pinewood Derby. Here are photos of (1) our 12-year old grandson, Don Boose IV, with his entry in the "older siblings and friends” category, with son, Don Boose III, who is the Cubmaster of Pack 675, and 7-year old grandson, Christopher, in the background; (2) Christopher’s entry (at arrow); and (3) Don3, Christopher, and my wife, Lil, at the finish line. Lil and I had an entry in the adult category and won the “Red, White, and Blue” award, with the only racer that was – well – red, white, and blue.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-pnw01.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-pnw02.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-pnw03.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 01-30-2008 at 07:26 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:23 AM

But there is some progress

Below are (1) a photo of the pieces of the nose greenhouse. The good news is that I do not have to build an interior (unlike Dan’s Beautiful Beaufort), but the bad news is (2) in spite of my best efforts, a very noticeable gap (arrow). I had previously scanned the parts of the model, but my computer refuses to print out anything like the gray color of the faux Perspex. More to follow.

The next photo shows the interior structure of the wing. There is a bend in the rear spar (arrow) that poses a problem: there will be a challenging compound curve in the inboard wing skin.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-20.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-22.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-23.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2008, 07:25 AM

Conundrum and plea for assistance

Here is another photo of the inboard wing structure, including an additional reinforcing piece that I intend to add where the main spar penetrates the inboard rib and is attached to the center spar through the fuselage, and a photo of the inner rib that will be glued up against the fuselage. I do not have to point out the unsightly area where the panel lines do not match up.

Here is the conundrum: should I attach the inboard wing framework to the fuselage and then try to cover it? This will insure that I get the edge of the wing skin matched up with the side of the fuselage, but will require a juggling act to get the leading and trailing edges to match up.

Or should I build and skin the inboard wing structure and then glue the completed structure to the fuselage? It will be much easier to match up the leading and trailing edges, but I am likely to have trouble with the seam between the edge of the wing skin and the fuselage?

Any advice from those of you who have built a multi-engined Maly Moderarz model?

While you are thinking about that, I’ve added a photo of our Pinewood Derby entry (I am “Don Boose, Jr.” The “Don Boose” who signed the certificate is our son, Don3).
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-24.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-25.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-pnw04.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 01-30-2008 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:11 AM

Don, I think the cause of that gap is the parts not coming together - work on that - LOL! Slipping family photos into the contest thread in the hopes of getting more bonus points worked great, by the way!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
The good news is that I do not have to build an interior (unlike Dan’s Beautiful Beaufort)
That's not the right attitude, you dont get the privilege of building an interior and full clear greenhouse! :D

Looks like a lot of fun at the Pinewood derby with the grandkids. Congrats on the award. I must admit, I'd consider buying a bunch of nail polish in bulk and having a nice shiney pink car if I ever entered one. I know it worked well for rockets when I was a kid, so I'd imagine it'd give you good airflow on the cars

As far as your conundrum, personally I would prefer to skin the wings separate from the plane. I figure I could then trim up the edges to match the fuselage. (*Note - general building experience, not necessarily w/ MM kits as the BB is my first). Unfortunately with the Beaufort, that option isn't available. The wing structure is a long single spar that passes through the fuselage. Then it is slotted and the pieces all slot onto that spar, with one of those pieces being right next to the fuselage. That means I will have to build the structure onto the fuselage and then skin the wings, as it's the only way to make it work. I won't get to it until this weekend, but I'll share my experience once I see how it works.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:25 AM

Ron -- By George, you're right! The gap IS caused by the parts not coming together! I'm also glad to hear that the phamily photos ploy worked.

Dan -- Leaving aside the issue of pink Pinewood Derby Racers, you make a convincing argument on the approach to the wing construction. I am definitely leaning in that direction and will see how it works out.

Don
Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 35.0 KB
I'm not exactly sure how your model is designed but if I could I'd like to offer option c:

Glue the frame to the fuselage glue the wing skin trailing edges together then slide it over the frame.

Maybe a stupid idea but I thought I'd throw it out.

My models available for sale @ Gremir and Ecardmodels
Google Adsense