PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
The fit and panel line matchup between wing and fuselage is surprisingly good, given the problems between fuselage sections.

The final photo for this session is a little goody picked up on Ebay....a six-inch digital calipers. The buy-it-now price was "less than $10," and shipping was reasonable. I'm not sure if the seller has more available or not, but he appeared to be an on-line business, since the merchandise is still in original packaging, and he had several of each item he was selling posted. It would be worth while to try searching Ebay for it....a very handy item for modeling in any medium.

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-wing-4.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-calipers.jpg
Old 01-28-2008, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Congrats on the progress! Looks like yours may be the next one finished.

Cecil
Old 01-28-2008, 02:19 AM

Instead of wasting time cleaning up the work table any more than was required to find the parts I needed, I decided to try building the tailfeathers. What a wonderful surprise....all fits together just right, first time out of the box. The bottom of the rudder curves around the lower rudder spar just like some of the wingtips fit around their spars. Since the curvature only extended about a half inch along the perifery of the rudder, it wasn't necessary to cut any slits in the lower tip of the rudder in order to prevent wrinkles. A very little massaging during gluing, and the seam came out just about seamless. When I dry fit the tail, not a bit of white was showing at the parts locations on the fuselage....and this without a drop of glue. I should have waited until the morning; I'm not sure if it's me or the camera that's fuzzy, or maybe a little of both, but I'm so jazzed over the fit of this older Maly kit that I couldn't wait to get posted.

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-tail-1.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-tail-2.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-tail-3.jpg
Old 01-28-2008, 07:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent! I think a modicum of skill was involved in getting that tail together, as well as a little luck in the fit of the parts.

Don
Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks great! Nice job!
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2008, 06:23 PM

I haven't had too much time lately to butcher paper....trying to keep up with the snow has been nearly a full time (and losing) task. Today the drifts were highter than the business end of the snowblower, so I said to hell with it and got back to the building board. I've gotten the canopy on, and the landing gear is getting close to the point I can assemble it. For anyone wondering how the pinebox derby wheel mandrel will work, I have one of the wheels ready to be sanded down.

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-canopy-1.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-canopy-2.jpg

OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Ki-61-landing-gear-1.jpg
Old 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM

LOL - Spring will melt the snow, you stick to the important stuff! Looking mighty fine.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:28 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Nice looking canopy!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It really looks great. Excellent craftsmanship. The canopy is first class. Thanks for the info on the mandrel. I brought one back from the Pinewood Derby and should be putting it to use soon.

Don
Old 02-09-2008, 12:10 AM

No real progress to report. Twelve inches base plus eight inches fresh powder plus two days sustained 25 mph wind (gusts to 40)....well, you figure it out. (That was a weather report, not a description of Tammy Fay Baker.) The drifts are so bad I can't even see the hay shelter I use for a goose pen. The weather man gives very little hope for anything letting up until Sunday, with the next storm coming though the following day. Hope I can remember where I parked the snowblower....may have to probe for it once this winds down. Idaho winter sucks....but maybe after a taste of a real Idaho winter, there will be an exodus of Californicos come spring. The worst part of it is that I'm out of BenGay, and down to the last sixpack.:(