PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.60 MB
I need some help...and I know I've come to the right place.

I'm trying to determine how to model the front gun ports, the kit designation is a D4Y4 and no gun ports are shown.

Most pictures I can find are of a D4Y2 with the inline engine, the gun ports look like long slits on top of the cowl about halfway between the front of the fuselage and the windscreen. One picture shows some small ports near the front of the cowling, this appears to be a D4Y3 with the radial engine however it's not a very clear picture.

Some drawings show a tube aiming device and no gun ports (including the drawing on the kit cover), what's that all about? Wasn't the aiming tube part of the forward gun system?

Does anyone know how the Y3 forward guns were arranged?
Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The tube on top of the cowling is a telescopic sight. Pretty common, but becoming obsolete by WWII.

Chances are that guns are moved from the inline version and situated to fire on either side of the top cylinder with the muzzles and blast tubes within the cowling itself
Old 01-27-2008, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Gun location was not changed between D4Y2 and D4Y3 version but the higher profile of the radial engine resulted in gun ports being much less visible - take a look at this plastic model* http://hsfeatures.com/features04/judyrl_1.htm

* Disclaimer - link is for reference purposes only and I do not approve of building models from anything other than paper! (No, I'm not serious :D)
Old 01-27-2008, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the quick replies.

Michael, the small openings as shown in the p-p-plastic (hard to say) model are what I was hoping for since they need to be cut in after the fact.

Now I've come up with another mystery, I'm speculating that the rear portion of the canopy that tapers down into the fuselage some how rotated down to the side inside the cockpit when the rear gun was used.

In this picture it looks like a part of it is still up along the far side?
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest-Yokosuka "Judy"-judy2.jpg  
Old 01-27-2008, 12:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Correct. The rearmost part of the canopy rotated to the side with part sticking out exactly as it can be seen on the photo.
Google Adsense
Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 PM

The fin, stabilizer and fillets are on.

The fin and stabilizer are "hinged" with 24lb. copy paper. Of course all of the assembly procedures are from people active in this forum and the old Cardmodels.net...nothing invented by me here.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest-Yokosuka "Judy"-judyo.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest-Yokosuka "Judy"-judyp.jpg  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice looking tail you have there! I'm sure that won't be misunderstood by anyone...
Old 01-28-2008, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You're doing a beautiful job of putting this one together, Tbolter.

Don
Old 01-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Wow, that looks great. I like your use of a jar full of what I assume is sand as a wieght. I'm going to have to find some flat bottomed jars.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:14 PM

The wings are on.

I had to deviate from the designer's assembly method here, the wing sections were folded and glued first, after gluing a slot was cut in the rib where the wing sections join so that the main spar could pass through. The inboard and outboard wing sections were then joined keeping the trailing edge as straight as possible.

The main spar was extended to a length just short of the end of the wing with the splice slightly inboard of the rib between the wing halves. Also, another spar was added to the inboard wing section between the main spar and the trailing edge to straighten out the droop in the top of the wing.

The wing assembly was slid on to the main spar and glued to the fuselage, the rib at the wing tip was modified to capture the end of the main spar and inserted into the end of the wing.

This seemed to work fairly well, I have tried all sorts of methods in an attempt to get these Maly wings to look like they should.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest-Yokosuka "Judy"-judyq.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest-Yokosuka "Judy"-judyr.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest-Yokosuka "Judy"-judys.jpg  
Google Adsense