PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 03-16-2008, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Well, I'm waiting for sanding sealer to dry on the turned balsa wheels (which came out a little lopsided) and am still fiddling with the infernal device to allow the props to turn, so I am a long way from the finish line.

I really want to see your Beaufort completed, Dan. It won't be much fun to finish this contest without you being there, too.

So I'm rooting for you to find some solution to the turret issue, even if it is an opaque paper turret.

Don
Old 03-16-2008, 04:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post

I really want to see your Beaufort completed, Dan. It won't be much fun to finish this contest without you being there, too.

So I'm rooting for you to find some solution to the turret issue, even if it is an opaque paper turret.

Don
Here, here! I second that feeling!
Chris
Old 03-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Cool

Quote:
Well, I'm waiting for sanding sealer to dry on the turned balsa wheels (which came out a little lopsided) and am still fiddling with the infernal device to allow the props to turn, so I am a long way from the finish line.

Don
Well, even if she's not finished tomorrow, she'll be finished within the week. I'm trying (holding bits and typing one handed even now ). I even enlisted SWMBO to color my antenna arrays - Woot!
Old 03-16-2008, 07:54 PM

Finished = statement by the builder to the effect that it's finished (even if it is completed later).
Old 03-17-2008, 05:23 AM
Aviation Moderator

Well, I made the re-printed paper turret - and figured out why I couldn't make the clear one work. It's a petal piece, and I assumed that the tips of the petals should meet in a point. Well, either the intention is to only have 1/2 of the petals meet or the piece is drawn wrong, as it's not possible to form the part that way. We're pretending that the turret took same flak damage on the last mission that hasn't been repaired yet...
That leaves me with glueing one cowling on, engine exhausts, about 8-10 antennae, gluing the guns/ turret on and I think that's it. She 'should' be done done tonight :D
Old 03-17-2008, 07:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Those petal shapes almost never fit for me. It's like they just draw some curve and hope it matches!

Though, I'm sure you can do it!! Get an air raid siren for your workshop for motivation maybe.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Go Dan!

Your comment, "the piece is drawn wrong" resonates with me. I've made enough of my own goofy mistakes in the course of this project, but I keep coming up against such things as propellors drawn just enough off that the fronts and backs of the blades won't match up and spinner caps too large for the spinners. I have had to rely on sanding and repainting to cover some of the glitches.

Just now, I am listening to Leroy Anderson's Irish Suite and waiting for the glue to dry on the exhaust collector rings and paint to dry on the turned balsa wheels and still have to construct the undercarriage, attach the nacelles and the wings, and add the fiddly bits, but I have every good hope that my battle-damaged Hampden will stagger into the air at about the same time as your Beaufort.

Erin go braugh!

Don
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 AM
Aviation Moderator

Quote:
Go Dan!

Your comment, "the piece is drawn wrong" resonates with me. I've made enough of my own goofy mistakes in the course of this project, but I keep coming up against such things as propellors drawn just enough off that the fronts and backs of the blades won't match up and spinner caps too large for the spinners. I have had to rely on sanding and repainting to cover some of the glitches.
...Don
I hate to blame things on designers when I'm not an expert builder compared to some of the guys on here, but I've done enough of these things that I think I can tell when something just isn't right. I tried 2 times with clear acetate to form the turret piece, each time thinking I had made an oops. I then tried the original paper piece and mangled it - still thinking that I did something wrong in my haste. A nice dinner at one of the local Japanese sushi places care of my in-laws cleared my head and I had a go at a the printed copy with new paper. I know I formed the petals just fine until I got to a point where they just wouldn't fit.

The 'good' thing is that the opaque turret is going to allow me to cheat the MG assemblies inside the turret, as I'm falling to the 'you can't see it so I'm not building the detail' trap. That's pretty much only due to the deadline - if time wasn't an issue I'd probably do the detail work anyway.

Hope all of you that get a short week are enjoying your St. Patty's day and I'll be plowing into antenna detail as soon as I get home tonight!

Looking forward to seeing that Hampden.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
I'm lookin forward to see the Beaufort, Dan, it'll be the first cardmodel Beaufighter I've ever seen
Old 03-17-2008, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
oops, I mean torpedo bomber.....