PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-18-2008, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Hi Dan -- I just settled in at my table at the Military History Institute Reading Room and, before opening up the first box of the Charles L. Bolte Papers, couldn't resist a quick peek at the Forum and saw you had a Beaufort posting. Too bad about the batteries. I can't wait to see the pictures. Best wishes on the build and thanks for all the historical information. Now back to the historical research. It's nice to have a job that is as much fun to me as model building. Don
Old 01-18-2008, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Don, do you mean to say you actually get money for doing that?
Old 01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Ok - now some pictures of the kit, some miscellaneous parts I've been working on, and a sneak peak of my recent purchases that prevented me from buying anything from Ron (as much as it is killing me - but specifically the Scud launcher I expect to become harder to find, and while I'm years away from attempting the build, it had to go into the collection).
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Bristol Beaufort-mmbb-a1.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Bristol Beaufort-mmbb-a2.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Bristol Beaufort-recent-purchases.jpg  
Old 01-18-2008, 04:55 PM

Have batteries, will photo! Put those silly Halinskis and Modeliks away. Stick to manly models!
Old 01-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Aviation Moderator

Another picture, this time of some things actually assembled. The cockpit assembly is a bit odd, as the sections as pictured here are glued directly to the bulkheads. Given the amount of open space in the cockpit area and the shaping it is a pretty decent idea.

From the konradus site I was able to look up the designer of this kit (Wiesław Bączkowski), and in addition to doing MM models from 1972 until 1996, he also did a Halinski kit - the Grumman E-2C in 1996.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Bristol Beaufort-mmbb-a3.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Aviation Moderator

Another update. The paper wants to fold instead of roll, so while I can't say that I have perfect technique in shaping things, I do think that the paper quality contributed to the creases you see here. Otherwise formers fit exact with no trimming, sanding or gaps.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Bristol Beaufort-mmbb-a4.jpg  
Old 01-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Eternal Member

Try some spit on the back of the part but try it on a spare bit of paper sometimes it works.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:45 PM

Yeah, the paper in these older kits is pretty inconsistent in texture to the point of being crumbly in the worst case. I have had many a fold tab just fall off when I bent it.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.27 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
Try some spit on the back of the part but try it on a spare bit of paper sometimes it works.
Barry's right, spit works wonders with that old paper
Old 01-20-2008, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Yeah, that's why I'm always asking about the paper. I built the FW189 (NO, I won't show it... I think that I tossed it) and had real issues with rolling and folding. I've decided that any future Maly build will be a scan/recolor kit bash because of this.

Ron is just plain cruel for enticing so many nice modelers into working with this paperlike substance.

Carl
Google Adsense