PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-20-2008, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
If papyrus, rice paper, tree bark and parchment were good enough for the ancient paper modelers why shouldn't we experience their pain? It will bring us closer to our predecessors and make us one with our models. Pretty zen-like for this early in the morning, eh? Oops, it's almost noon - where did I leave the bourbon last night?
Old 01-20-2008, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
OT,
You should also forbid using any Xacto knives, dovels, scalpels or metal rulers.
If those papermodeling cavemen could work with broken Gilette blades, dull scissors and edge of the table to cut and form the parts, so does your contestants!!!

No, I'm not participating. I had a premonition not to buy anything from this slave master, otherwise I would be in the same boat with you and he would be whipping my back with a rope
Old 01-20-2008, 11:53 AM

If you look over your shoulder, Mike, that fat old man behind you is whipping your back - but it's for the speedy completion and release of a certain Curtiss product!! Like Carl, you have no time to waste reading/commenting when you could be designing/building. Snap! Crack! Give him 50 more!!!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Keep it up Dan!! Sooner or later you will have a nice plane on your desk!!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
1) I remember using single-edged razor blades for all of my modelling in jr. high and high school (apparently they were cheaper / easier to get than real Xacto blades). That included plastics, paper and balsa / tissue models (the worst!) It was miserable - basically I had a constant blister on my index finger.
2) I think I'll be able to use a spoon or the handle of my Xacto to smooth much of the creasing up once I get more of a structure to the assembly. I don't want to try it with just one section.
3) I personally would like to thank Ron for this contest and Popala for allowing (bribing even) my participation! Looking at the number of build threads involved is just incredible to see such participation from so many people in one project.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I'd have been happy to have single edged razor blades. I had to confiscate my dad's used double edged blades and snap them in two...then make a diagonal break across them to create a point. I spent more time healing than building. And I had to walk five miles to school, uphill both ways....and wrap my feet in barbed wire to get traction on the ice during the winter.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:55 PM
Eternal Member

I've still got a packet of single edge blades in my toolkit some things I can't do without them but I'm not going back to busting double edged ones too damn dangerous.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:01 PM

And no one has brought up dissolving celluloid film (pre-safety) in acetone to make glue
Old 01-20-2008, 09:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Dan -- I've been off the air for a day or so. Just checked in to see the great progress you have made. I'm paying close attention for techniques applicable to my Hampden.

Darwin -- Well, yes and no. I was paid pretty well for the research, including travel to Korea, and the writing of the book. The research I am doing now is incidental to doing revisions of the book in hopes of publication. I won't be paid for this additional research, so I guess I was working for free on Friday. Frankly, for most of my adult life, there hasn't been a very clear distinction between work and and some of my hobbies.

All -- My modeling days go back as far as the kits that consisted of a couple of blocks of balsa -- I even remember the wartime kits with the printed parts on cardboard when balsa was a strategic material. I always had little cuts on my fingers from using broken double edged razor blades. I still find single edged blades to be very useful for many applications.

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 01-20-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Shoot, the wartime I go back to was Vietnam... and I used plenty of single edged blades on models back then... and then split double edgers when they dulled out. But the double edgers were too thin and didn't have good corners on them. White glue, a pair of tweezers stolen from my mother... man, that was model building.

Who says that Maly built the hobby? It was WMV back in those days. Heavy sigh. That'll be my model competition if it happens.

Carl
Google Adsense