PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-21-2008, 05:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
I thought sharpened flintstones was the only tool to be used.....I guess I must be wrong.....
Old 01-21-2008, 06:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
And speaking of flintstones, how's that fine Beaufort coming along, Dan?
Old 01-21-2008, 09:08 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
And speaking of flintstones, how's that fine Beaufort coming along, Dan?
Well, as I just posted up in another thread, unlike most of the politically correct free world, I still have to work today, so no progress until this evening.

I did get the second cockpit section mostly assembled, just gotta glue the steering wheel and a few more bits into it.
I will say that I like that the canopy sections for this kit are in the beginning. That way it'll be done and over with, so I can just put finger prints all over it as I continue assembly

I haven't started putting fuselage sections together, so I can't really comment on the fit - but the cockpit bits aren't too bad. A couple boxes that don't fit 100% - but no more so than any other hand-drawn kit (speaking of Wilhelmshaven...) that I've built.

This model definitely got me thinking about the detail that a newer kit (from Halinski or the like) would have in the cockpit of this model. Honestly this plane is growing on me as I research and build - and I think if somebody did come out with a modern version, it'd have to be on my collection list. (Note that I'm now calling it a collection instead of a build list, because likely most of the models will be collected and not necessarily built for a while).

If any of you designers are looking for a neat historical story and a plane to go with it, read up on F/O Campbell's story as I posted early in this thread - it'd certainly make a neat plane, or potentially a smaller scale diorama piece including the various anti-aircraft weaponry, parts of ships and the like...
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 AM

I feel your pain, Dan. Since MLK Day coincides with my bride's natal day so I won't get any building done until she's asleep tonight. I'm glad you're enjoying the build - I was worried you wouldn't get to play. BTW, there's still plenty of goodies left when SWMBO unlocks the reasury - LOL.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:11 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
i have MLK day off, and the USPS is not working either, so maybe on tuesday I will have something to show
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Aviation Moderator

Well, sorry but no picture updates. Been dealing with my wife being sick and it's been sapping my time and energy away from modelling.
I did have 2 small setbacks. I glued the second fuselage section to the main one, and it didn't fit. Due to the odd shape of the bottom, I had to put the misalignment on the top - right behind the back of the greenhouse. I think it'll look ok from a 'shelf view' - but pretty noticeable. I was already thinking that this model may end up hanging from the ceiling in my sons room - this just adds to that thinking.
The second issue is one of a furry, cuddly, purring nature. They managed to get ahold of and chew up the next former. It's a relatively thin former, because the cockpit area is pretty open up front. It's ripped in one corner and a bit wonky. I'm going to try to glue it back and leave it sitting flat to save it I think, but I may need to make a substitute. Luckily it was found and isn't destroyed so badly that I can't copy the shape if need be.
I have an open saturday on the slate this weekend, other than some chores and following the 24 hours of Daytona, so I'm hoping to get some serious progress done. I'm currently behind the deadline - I had 57 days to complete the model, 71 assemblies to complete, and have 2 of them actually complete, with the 3rd probably more than 1/2 done. Hopefully once I get past the cockpit the assemblies become simpler / quicker
Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
My sympathies, Dan. Hope your wife will be well soon.

I have had the same kind of fit problems with the fuselage of the Hampden. Furthermore, a closer inspection of that nice tail you commented on, would reveal that the leading edge of the starboard outer tip of the horizontal stabilizer is noticeably lower than the leading edge of the main stabilizer and the leading edge of the port outer tip is noticeably higher.

Fortunately, neither of our current cats is a model chewer -- although they tend to chew on the edges of newspapers if insufficient attention is paid to them. However, the horizontal stabilizer of a peanut scale stick and tissue P-40C has tiny kitten tooth marks inflicted by a beautiful cat, now sadly deceased, about 23 years ago in Japan.

Best wishes for a productive weekend. I will spend mine with the grandsons, but will be back on the Hampden case Monday.

Don
Old 01-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Aviation Moderator

Ok - some pictures of where we stand. If you look close, you can not only see the mis-alignment I mentioned earlier, but there's a mistake I made. The front-most interior cockpit section already attached in the pictures was glued in at the wrong level. I believe you still would have seen the back of the side structure through the greenhouse anyway, but it's very predominate due to my oops. I didn't notice it until I glued on and aligned that fuselage section, and I wasn't taking it back off to fix it - it actually aligned fairly well.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Bristol Beaufort-mmbb-a5.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Bristol Beaufort-mmbb-a6.jpg  
Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Good going! I'm really curious to see how this one builds as it's another kit I really want track down and build someday (as opposed to just buy and store!).
Old 01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Aviation Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Good going! I'm really curious to see how this one builds as it's another kit I really want track down and build someday (as opposed to just buy and store!).
If you do, I suggest that for the joint between parts 1 and 3 (where the big gap is on top of my model) that you eliminate the joining strip. The former won't fit unless you still put a layer of card between it and part #1 - but without that joining strip, I think you can get a much better fit between these 2 parts.
Thus far the kit is mostly going together fairly well. I have run into a small hurdle in that there's no real assembly to put the forward facing guns in the kit. I'm going to make something work - but the only way I can see that the original kit provided was to glue the barrels into the piece that they stick through - and that just doesn't seem right to me.