PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-17-2008, 09:01 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Bristol Beaufort

This is a proxy build for Popala (Thanks again for the opportunity for me to participate in this madness of a contest, er I mean very cool community endeavor :D).

While I have not received my kit in the mail, I have been able to start the mental preparations of building it. While I am absolutely against piracy of printed paper models, I have no qualms about stealing some Russian bandwidth to see what I'm getting into since I know the kit is on it's way. And no worries about me printing the model onto better cardstock, I will show pictures of cutting the actual book up to verify I'm dealing with whatever quality card it comes with

Now - the first thing is that this kit is said to be that of Flying Officer K. Campbell. Here's a description of what makes that plane memorable (from http://www.pewteraircraft.com/STRUCK...0I%20144.htm):

Quote:
The aircraft featured was on April 6th 1941 piloted by Flying Officer K Campbell in an attack on the Gneiseneau in Brest harbour.
The Air Ministry account of the part played by Coastal Command in the battle of the seas 1939-1942 and published at the time states “.. Six were given the task, three became bogged down while trying to take off. The fourth failed to find Brest in the haze.. The fifth went into attack a few minutes too late.” This aircraft pressed home its attack through continuous streams of fire but found a bank of haze completely hiding the Battie Cruiser.
“The sixth and last Beaufort had attacked a few minutes before.. . The Beaufort came in very low and was at once under the fire of some 270 anti-aircraft guns..... the barrage of the guns of the warship itself and from those of the three fiak ships.” The torpedo attack was successfully made and the Gneisenau badly damaged. It is believed that the Beaufort was subsequently shot down by 20mm cannon fire from the mole protecting the warship. All of the crew “A graduate from Cambridge a Canadian from Toronto, a farmer from Somerset and a chauffeur from North London" were killed. Flying Officer Campbell was posthumously awarded the Victoria Cross.
More information here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_Campbell

Now, the lettering of the plane from that site is OA/X (or is that a DA/X?)- which is different than the MW/P of the MM kit. Unfortunately my research online has been unable to find any other references, so I'm unable to confirm if the MM letting is correct or not. Either way, I'll be building the kit as printed.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Aviation Moderator

The next thing I've discovered is that the 'portholes' in the side of the fuselage will show a blank white inside section as is. I think that I'll simply color the inside of these sections grey to match the coloring of the cockpit bits included for the front section. The portholes are pretty small - so I'm not actually sure that even leaving it white would be horrible, but I can't do that
Old 01-17-2008, 09:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent historical research Dan! I'm really looking forward to this build.

Don
Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Keep 'em coming guys!!
This seems like a really committing thing!
Brings the group together in it's bizarre way
Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Maybe you need to scratch build the inside of the plane behind those little portholes in case somebody actually looks through them.

Carl
Google Adsense
Old 01-17-2008, 11:05 AM

Yes, GB, I'm with you! If I have to do control cables, Dan needs to do a scratchbuilt interior - with working lights! It will earn you a couple bonus points, Dan.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM
Aviation Moderator

While in the right situation I might not be opposed to developing a detailed interior for this portion of the aircraft, I think that building this kit with this time constraint is going to prohibit me from doing so. I'm going to be hard pressed to finish by the deadline as is - let alone with trying to research and bash the interior detail not provided in the kit.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
And a full Coastal Command crew in Sidcots and white silk scarfs, finishing up a game of vingt-et-une and brewing up a cuppa char before rolling in on the Gneisenau. Tally-ho, chaps!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
"OA" was the code for 22 Squadron. The MM Beaufort is "MW" which is 217 squadron - both squadrons were equipped with Beauforts in 1941-42.
http://www.btinternet.com/~lee_mail/rafcodes.html

Regards,

Charlie
Old 01-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Aviation Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
"OA" was the code for 22 Squadron. The MM Beaufort is "MW" which is 217 squadron - both squadrons were equipped with Beauforts in 1941-42.
http://www.btinternet.com/~lee_mail/rafcodes.html

Regards,

Charlie
Thanks for the reference. Chalk this one up to poor research of the designer, because his intention was to model the K. Campbell plane, as he states that specifically in the instructions. I suppose 1993 was pre-internet so we can cut him some slack

I received the kit yesterday, safely and in good shape considering the age. I got the formers laminated (almost 2 whole pages worth). I also started some cutting and coloring if piece number one. I did notice some tearing at the very end of a few cuts, but overall there's not too much discoloration or print color mis-registration.
Unfortunately I also ran into the 'batteries in the camera dead', and after the small allowable amount of badgering she who must be obeyed about using it last, it was plugged in for charging and I will attempt to get some pictures today