PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-24-2008, 07:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, of couse there can't be any "Airplane" quotes in a ship or armor build thread (they would require "Titanic" or "Sink the Bismarck" or "In Harm's Way" or "Patton" or "Excalibur" quotes) but I think "Airplane" quotes are quite pertinent in an airplane build thread with a discussion about skin. BTW, Darwin, do you like movies about gladiators?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
AWWWWWWW......Mong..., er, Darwin straight!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Candygram for Mongo...............Candygram for Mongo

My Drawings
Old 01-27-2008, 12:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
OK, Let's get back to what's important......build photo's of course! The wing construction went pretty well though it was a bit different that what I'm used to. I built both leading edges first to allow one to dry while a coaxed the other in the proper curves. Then the top and bottom pieces were attached. Finally I glued the trailing edges together and the wing shape was pretty much formed. Kind of like the way FG models work.

Then of course I just had to slide the wings onto the spars and "fly" the model around the house. The cats were annoyed and the dog freaked and looked for a place to hide. Pretty much the expected results.

Next up a whole lot of small parts to complete the fuselage, the wings, landing gear and propeller.

Stay tuned while I brush up on my jive!

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00017.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00020.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00022.jpg  
Old 01-27-2008, 12:35 AM

You must be doing something right - it doesn't look like a Corsair or a Mustang!
Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Interesting construction on the wings. Haven't seen that on any other MM models. This model is on my to do pile , with three other Spits!
Chris
Old 01-27-2008, 11:24 AM

Perils of elliptical wings. I don't think there's any other way to do them. Rather skill and labour intensive. It's also why the manufacturers of 1:1 scale avoid them even if it is the most efficient subsonic wingform
Old 01-27-2008, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Looking good!
Mine developed a fuzzy texture after being handled so much; does yours show any hint of that?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:51 PM

I put a coat of Krylon Crystal Clear on before cutting. I think that it helped a lot but additional coats may be needed.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:34 AM

Here are some more progress pics. The wings went on without much fuss but the slipper tank needed quite a bit of flair to the sides to match the white "glue here" areas on the fuselage. The wing fairings were particularly evil with the stiffness of the paper fighting the mutiple curves required to conform to the fuselage and wing. And just when everything almost came together the whole thing would collapse and reveal large white areas underneath. I'm not sure if I actually got it close or just gave up and decided it would have to do.

The rest of the items shown here including the oil cooler scoop and the twin radiators were pretty easy. I used a coffee stirrer tube in the wings to make the landing gear struts removable. I have a notion to evetually install one of those small electric motors in the nose to make a flying model.

The nose spinner was just three concentric cone sections and went together pretty well especially with a bit of tissue to support the cap piece. The final pic shows an ultra simple jig for the prop alignment. I just glued the props on two at a time, one straight up and one straight down. Let dry and repeat once for a four bladed prop.

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00021.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00019.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00022.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Spitfire MK VIII-dsc00018.jpg  
Google Adsense