PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Chris,
In the photo with the gap it looks like the problem segment is a bit larger in circumference than the next one.
If you are building the model as designed with but-joint method, then the formers are to blame for what happened and my bet is that, eventhough they are to be glued to each other, they are not exactly the same....
Old 01-20-2008, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
This one is putting up more of a fight than I expected!
Got the wings on without too much trouble. I suspect this kit would go together very nicely if it weren't for the paper...and maybe that fuselage gap!

There are definitely little quirks in the kit;

This isn't a misalignment, it's actully miscolored. The strip should continue back in gray.
Tomorrow it's the big decision: go with the download upgrades to the kit: Fuel tank, spinner, and wheel wells. OR,
Build the kit as delivered and form my own fuel tank and spinner out of wood or something.
Any thoughts, anyone?
Chris
Old 01-20-2008, 09:11 PM

I sanded the bulkheads together to make sure they fit, Michael. I'm sure if I had been watching more carefully, I would have spotted the problem in time to do something about it. My problems is that I apply glue first, then look to see what I put the glue on!
I'm tempted to do this one again, but printed on better paper, to see if it's me or the kit, or a little of both?
Chris
Old 01-20-2008, 09:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
You are really making fast progress!

I'm having many of the same problems with my Hampden.

Don
Old 01-20-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
You are really making fast progress!

I'm having many of the same problems with my Hampden.

Don
Yes, but you're doing a Hampden! I'm really watching your build with interest. I really do want to build that one if I ever get up the courage to tackle it. The Hampden looks like it has more problems than this one, and not just because there's more of it!
I like the look of the Raiden. It's not a flashy looking plane, to be sure. It's rather pedestrian, with very little surface detail, but it's got a flavor all it's own. Having said that, I think I would have prefered the Hampden!
Chris
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM

After much personal introspection, meditation, far too little bourbon, I decided to go against my better judgement. I have foregone the convenient internet upgrades in favor of doing this kit as it was meant to be done....with much cursing and swearing!:D
I made the spinner and fuel tank out of wood dowel, as I suspect the instructions suggest;

They came out better than I thought they would. Maybe I'm in the wrong hobby and should take up woodworking.
After that, the rest was just finish work. So, in fact, it's finished!

Despite all my best efforts, it didn't turn out too bad!

The props were the only nightmare in finishing up, but that was only because of the splitting paper. I had to paint them to hide my shame.:o

The fuel tank painted up alright and I drew on some lines to blend in with the rest of the kit a little better.
While there's definitely some bad modeling on this one, even my wonky fuselage section isn't too glaring in the final product (at least not as much as I feared!).

All in all, I think it's a pretty convincing model. In fact, I'm pretty convinced I should give up this hobby and find something I can do right!:D
My thanks to Ron for getting this going. I love seeing all these old kits finding the light of day as real models. I may even attempt another MM model soom...but I'll definitely scan it and print it on better paper!
Chris
PS. I'm a terrible Klutz and I decided I'd better get this one to safety on the shelf ASAP. I gingerly placed it next to an Me109 and then promptly knocked the props off! Doh!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow! Congratulations on being the first to completely finish. My effort still lacks a couple cables so is not "completely" done. Frankly, I think you have done wonders with this model. As far as the prop incident goes - I did the same thing!

All right, people - let's hear it for Chris!
Old 01-21-2008, 07:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Congrats on a great and quick finish! She looks great!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Great looking plane. Seems like it was pretty quick build.

GOOD LUCK
Old 01-21-2008, 07:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Yeah - by my count, about 49 hours from first post to last - ZOOM!
Google Adsense