PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 01-23-2008, 05:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The standard factory "paint" job for these early warbirds was uncolored linen with a varnish applied and the metal parts were colored grey or left unpainted. The plain linen should have an off-white color like a pale buff. Note that the radial and rotary engines of the WWI timeframe were notorious oil spitters and drippers and the fabric quickly became stained. Nothing to do with color schemes but the castor oil which was used as a lubricant also had a laxative effect on the poor crew that were breathing and swallowing the engine exhaust - nuff said about that. The somewhat bizarre colors on models of the 80s and 90s is pretty common - not just with MM but GPM and early Fly/Gomix also. Even Wilhemshavener (fairly well established by then and somewhat conservative in their approach tio colors) had some wild ones. If you gather any more of these old models, scanning and recoloring is probably a good idea. Reference material is much more available via the net and the recoloring/reprinting process also takes care of the crumbly paper issue. You have a great build going - hang in there.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I'm all for the scan, recolor and print approach, if that works for you. While there's a certain nostalgic "charm" to the experience of building the original kits as delivered, the frustration level is also a factor. I've recolored and kitbashed a couple of MM Stukas and found the experience really fun...for me. That may not be for everyone and the great thing about this hobby is that all the approaches offer something different and we can all appreciate them for what they are. Diplomatic enough answer?
We have to keep in mind that a lot of these kits were "customized" and repainted (with real paint!) by the original hobbyists anyway, so changing the kits at this point is nothing new. This has actually got me itching to do another MM kit!
Chris
Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
There is a certain charm about these models with the off colors. Perhaps there is some analogy to the early plastic models. Does anyone else remember the Aurora purple Messerschmitt of the 1950s?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosed View Post
There is a certain charm about these models with the off colors. Perhaps there is some analogy to the early plastic models. Does anyone else remember the Aurora purple Messerschmitt of the 1950s?
Remember it? I bought it three times! It was the second plastic model I ever owned and my older brother took it from me and tried to "fly" it across the basement floor!
I think my first model was the Hawk Texan in bright orange!
Chris
Old 01-23-2008, 09:10 PM

I just unpacked a bright screaming yellow Hawk Nieuport
Old 01-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I remember the Hawk Nieuport 17! I think it may have been the second plastic model I ever built. As I recall, the first was a pale green Aercoupe.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 PM

Sorry about the late post but I ended up getting side tracked by work.

I started on the wings yesterday. This involved a little bit of guesswork but I think I have it right. Unfortunately, after cutting out the spars, they got a little warped and twisted. I wet them with water and placed them under a heavy book to straighten them out. (This also caused some minor anxiety, when one of the spars stuck to the book so I couldn't find it!!)

Although they were still a little bent I put everything together ready for the skinning of the wings when thouroughly dry.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings1.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings3.jpg  
Old 01-25-2008, 12:25 AM

Well, while waiting for the main wings to dry I decided to start on the tail.
I had already glued the tail plans onto some card when I noticed the little profile sections. So using the same bits from my photocopy, I glued them onto some balsa wood instead.
After cutting out the balsa shapes I then used some sand paper to make the correct profile for each tail.

After all this I finally put the skins onto the wings. I am not happy with the result. Even though I put curves into the paper before gluing and didn't use a lot of glue . . . they still have wrinkles on the tips. I spent a fair while doing a dry fit too! :(
I guess sometimes things just aren't meant to work out as we would like them.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings4.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings5.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings6.jpg  
Old 01-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Well after five days of illness, I am back to posting again! I had migraines and couldn't stomach sitting at a computer. :( That is also why my previous posts were a little brief.
However that didn't stop me from working on the EIII!! :D

Thanks to those who gave feedback on the scan, recolor and fix question. I might try doing something with the EIII as I am enjoying this build except for the wings.

Well back to the build! I started on the tail section and having the balsa internals made the shaping of the airfoils very easy. Not having any wire (and not feeling like getting some) I used unbent paper clips for the joining braces. I may have used wire that is too thick, as I had to do some pretty heavy gluing and adding extra paper to make the final tail assembly come together. :o Lucky it won't be seen on the finished model!!!
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings8.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings9.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings10.jpg  
Old 01-28-2008, 06:05 PM

The next part was to attach the wings to the fuselage. This was pretty simple and straight forward, as the design is simple and makes for good large surfaces to glue to.

The one thing I should note here is that I tried to repair the wing tips and really did a good job of making it worse. Sometimes its better to leave things alone!! :(

I thought I had a photo of the fuselage before I attached the upper panels to show how the tail wing was placed. I am really pleased with some of the fitting of the pieces in this kit. So far almost all the structural items have been very good fits which makes the joins strong where necessary.
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings7.jpg   OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz - Fokker E. III-ot_wings11.jpg  
Google Adsense