PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 02-14-2011, 07:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Superb idea! Looks like something that a starship captain would have on his table .
And definitely a must-have for every sci-fi fan, including me... Vorcha, would you give me a permission to turn your design into a free-download kit, please?
Old 02-15-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirco View Post
Superb idea! Looks like something that a starship captain would have on his table .
And definitely a must-have for every sci-fi fan, including me... Vorcha, would you give me a permission to turn your design into a free-download kit, please?
Of course!

If you have an idea how to do it easyly... and if really every star is on its place.... you could make it that way, that you use a single thread for every star, which is pre-prepared before beeing glued in or so...

perhaps using Nylon-threads from fishing-Nylons or so...

Anyway, of course you have my permission, i´m waiting to see the download

(you could of course write somewhere on it sth like "Kit designed by "Mirco" on an idea of "Vorcha" or sth)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Thank you. Of course you'll get the credits .
For the suspension, I plan to try a black thread, thin fishing line and human hairs to see what works best. And styrofoam balls or something for the stars...

If everything goes smooth, I'll deploy a new CAD-capable machine today, so my design time will no longer be limited to weekends only - hooray!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:12 AM

Lol, great! ... The Styrofoam balls... sounds genious, why didn´t I had the Idea?? Would have been much, much easier. But you have to think about the colours of the stars... they indicate the size of the star, so you have to paint them after all, because otherwise a big point of the map would be lost....

for example looking from different directions on the map shows, that around big stars (yellow, white) there are less brown and red dwarf-stars than elsewhere... where there are only red and brown dwarfs they are very homogenously positioned...

But ok, good luck!
Old 02-17-2011, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 417.89 MB
nice one. goes to show how varied the model subjects are in papermodelling.

In progress: Canon Alice in Wonderland Tunnel House, Canon A340, Learning Blender
Google Adsense
Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 AM

OK, let's show something is being done:

I like the scale of 1 cm = 1 light year, so this map will have only 15 LY radius. Do you agree?

This happened to be a very educational model - it made me learn what the right ascension and declination means, how to convert parsecs to light years, how the magnitudes and color indices work, how to read a CSV file (I wrote a program to filter the HYG star database by distance) and how incredibly huge and empty the space really is .

Anyway, what you see on the picture:
- On the left, there are Z templates for the stars. You simply cut the stripes out and use them to measure the distance from the bottom plate up.
- Center: the bottom plate with the star positions indicated in yellow (the colours are not final). The white rectangle is an A4 page, so you have an idea of the size (). The plates will have to be split in quarters and probably not rendered in flat black .
- Right: top plate, a mirror copy of the bottom, to make alignment easier.
- Bottom right: part of a corner column. Not sure how to best split that on an A4.

Now I'm adding star names from other catalogs (HYG had just inventory numbers for the less known ones) and plotting the sizes and colours of the stars. Stay tuned .
Old 02-22-2011, 03:03 PM

That is a monstrous amount of info contained in a very simple design. Nice work. I can't imagine how much time it took to get all the lengths and measurements right for scaling.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
OK, let's show something is being done:
Quote:
I like the scale of 1 cm = 1 light year, so this map will have only 15 LY radius. Do you agree?
This happened to be a very educational model - it made me learn what the right ascension and declination means, how to convert parsecs to light years, how the magnitudes and color indices work, how to read a CSV file (I wrote a program to filter the HYG star database by distance) and how incredibly huge and empty the space really is .
Anyway, what you see on the picture:
- On the left, there are Z templates for the stars. You simply cut the stripes out and use them to measure the distance from the bottom plate up.
- Center: the bottom plate with the star positions indicated in yellow (the colours are not final). The white rectangle is an A4 page, so you have an idea of the size (). The plates will have to be split in quarters and probably not rendered in flat black .
- Right: top plate, a mirror copy of the bottom, to make alignment easier.
- Bottom right: part of a corner column. Not sure how to best split that on an A4.

Now I'm adding star names from other catalogs (HYG had just inventory numbers for the less known ones) and plotting the sizes and colours of the stars. Stay tuned .
Wow, you are doing an enormos job! I´m totally stunned, you even wrote a computer program for it! I accepted that where would be slight faults, as i used a simple ruler to see the right hights, I just wanted to have it on my table
You are making a high-precision-model of it, a really professional thing... I can´t really say anything, the thing i can see so far looks great and weather it is 15 or 20 light years is a question of taste, so to say!

Well, one thing i could say: you could place the holding bars closer to the thing, to give a better view from more bove, and it would make the model smaller... but otherwise: keep on the good work!!!

Last edited by Vorcha; 02-22-2011 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:06 AM

Hi all,
Some more progress. Star diameters have been determined from absolute magnitude (2 to 7 mm, let's hope they won't look too big). Color scale is just guessed from red through yellow to white; I'm now positioning the stars on it, according to their color index.
Also, I've added a declination scale to the map - a large hollow circle placed vertically in the middle of the setup.

The styrofoam balls seem to be a dead end - they are mostly everything but spherical. I'll try some cutting and sanding; if it doesn't work, then go to cotton wool + white glue composite putty...

I'll probably get all the parts positioned on printable pages this week. Stay tuned .
Old 03-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Hi all,
Some more progress. Star diameters have been determined from absolute magnitude (2 to 7 mm, let's hope they won't look too big). Color scale is just guessed from red through yellow to white; I'm now positioning the stars on it, according to their color index.
Also, I've added a declination scale to the map - a large hollow circle placed vertically in the middle of the setup.

The styrofoam balls seem to be a dead end - they are mostly everything but spherical. I'll try some cutting and sanding; if it doesn't work, then go to cotton wool + white glue composite putty...

I'll probably get all the parts positioned on printable pages this week. Stay tuned .

Can´t wait to see the result, I´ll probably build one myself

Tags
light years, map, space, star