PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Cars and the city...

Actualy, I'm testing different esthetics with paper. I would like to do nice (and more if I can) and unsusal (or relativly unusual...) things.

In this case, I 'm inspired by the 1950-1960 years...

I'm not satisfied with the result... But I Don't see what is wrong. May be the builidings are too present, may be the light is too "sweet", may be the composition is wrong...

Any idea ?
Attached Thumbnails
Cars and the city...-city.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2011, 08:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Looks very nice to me. I would not change a thing!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:57 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_craft View Post
Actualy, I'm testing different esthetics with paper. I would like to do nice (and more if I can) and unsusal (or relativly unusual...) things.

I'm not satisfied with the result... But I Don't see what is wrong. May be the builidings are too present, may be the light is too "sweet", may be the composition is wrong...

Any idea ?

I think it's a great start. I think a little more shadowing on the buildings applied on the corners and roof lines, maybe some frames, like plant boxes on the windows, to add just a touch a depth. Looks like a cartoon of that era!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:17 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
The scenario is great for a cartoon effect if that is what you are driving for. But what are your desires in the make-up of the scene, characters, architecture and accessories? Many buildings during the fifties had Gothic themes to them and where concrete solid. If you have means, go to New York, Chicago, Philadelphia. Take a walk down broadway for architectural references as well as Central Park East and West. How real do you want to get? Comic book options are the backgrounds in the Batman, Spiderman, Superman, and many other comics that have a metropolitan scene. Good luck on your designs and hope to see it come into reality.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:19 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
The cars have a cartoonish style, maybe apply that to the buildings too..
like putting them a couple of degrees out of the 90 degree angle, or make them smaller at the bottom and bigger on the top, sort of in between Ren and Stimpy and the Jetsons
Google Adsense
Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
As suggested if you add a bit of texture like awnings etc and some bright colors like these 3D Cartoon Buildings :: 3D Models, Textures, Interior and Exterior scenes by Giimann in Autodesk 3D Studio MAX, 3DS, Lightwave LWO, Alias FBX, Maxon C4D and Maya file formats I think the buildings will really come to life. Making them with less depth or forced perspective might add to the cartoon effect as well.

BTW - Quickly making models of buildings is where Sketchup really shines.
Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
B-Manic: Thanks for that link. I usually use DA-Z3d DAZ3D | Free 3D software | DAZ Studio for 3D modeling and posing for my references and the program is free.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
B-Manic: Thanks for that link. I usually use DA-Z3d DAZ3D | Free 3D software | DAZ Studio for 3D modeling and posing for my references and the program is free.
I 2nd that, great link!!
Old 03-11-2011, 02:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Kevin : thanks for your apreciation !

Zathros : you're right. "to add just a touch a depth"...

Billy : that could be I way to do, but I don't want to be too much cartoon, a bit but not too many.

Silveroxide : Nice idea, more decorations on the building... Thanks

B-Manic : Thanks for the link, I keep it in mind for another project. Actualy it is too colorful for the design I try to have. But working with the perspective is a good idea.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_craft View Post

Any idea ?
What are you trying to accomplish, you currently have a wonderful 1950's-1960's cartoon effect going (ref: bullwinkle, underdog, hanna-barberra, powerpuff girls) You'll have to be more specific. To continue your effect I'd might consider your building are too rectangular/square. You might try to do them as trapezoids where the tops are slightly bigger than the bottoms so the buildings "pop out" or flair out at the top. The buildings should also be crooked a bit like the windows.
Google Adsense