PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 08-20-2012, 11:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
"Close the Iris!"

Another design I've been struggling with. I once read somewhere that the Iris as shown in Stargate wouldn't work, that is, the pattern the points make on the closed side. Then I saw some models others were working on, and decided to try it myself.

It does work, but it needs more work to successfully operate in paper. The main problem is lack of rigidity. The main support ring needs to be much thicker/stronger to avoid bending. The petals probably should be thicker as well. When I installed the actuator ring, everything warped and bound up. I had to seperate the sections again to free things up, but that keeps the whole thing from closing together.

Back to the drawing board.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
"Close the Iris!"-iiris-1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2012, 12:07 PM

Closed alright.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:59 PM

Disregard the last post. Another bad day here.

Here's a few better pictures, taken out on my picnic table. Closed and open, and both sides. You can see the actuator ring I had to cut, as well as the one tab, I put on that wasn't strong enough by itself to operate the iris.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
"Close the Iris!"-iris-2.jpg   "Close the Iris!"-iris-3.jpg   "Close the Iris!"-iris-4.jpg   "Close the Iris!"-iris-5.jpg   "Close the Iris!"-iris-6.jpg  

Old 08-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Scott, have you considered soaking the components in liquid ca {super glue} ? I have done this to several very fine pieces of card/paper and it turns it into a semi-plastic state... very rigid though {and smooth} Just a thought.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 PM

Peter, I hadn't considered that, but can't afford enough CA to try it at the moment. I'll have to try laminating the parts first. I could also try using that "other" material some people build models in, too. What I'd really like to use, someday, would be sheet brass. Wishful thinking, I can't afford that right now, either.

Scott K.
Google Adsense
Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott K View Post
Peter, I hadn't considered that, but can't afford enough CA to try it at the moment. I'll have to try laminating the parts first. I could also try using that "other" material some people build models in, too. What I'd really like to use, someday, would be sheet brass. Wishful thinking, I can't afford that right now, either.

Scott K.
i know where you are at my friend.... it's hard to say when the next glue stick etc etc can be purchased. Although this hobby is still far cheaper than plastic kits, it still requires money - an no matter how small a price that "something you need is" if you haven't got the cash it has to wait. I am there "Right there" with you mate. Things can only get better - at least that's my hope.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
What about using the aluminum from cans? Would they produce a piece big enough to use for this?

My Drawings
Old 08-22-2012, 08:43 PM

Food for thought. The bottom of a #10 can might be big enough for the base ring. I'll have to see if I still have one somewhere and measure it. The next problem will be if I still have enough tools left to work the metal (The bulk of my good tools are still in my toolbox in my car, see my "Vent " thread for details).

I could scale it down a bit if the #10 isn't quite big enough. Soda can aluninum should work for the petals, if I can get it to flatten out well enough.

Thanks for the idea, John.

Scott K.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Try some cereal box cardboard or the backing for pads of paper. Those are more rigid than the cardstock usually used for models. The paper pad backing would be a good structural material.