PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
scratch built garage

Many years ago in my "plastic period" I knew a guy who ran an engine tuning shop. It was in one corner of a larger building. I was taken by the place, it had so many layers of changes, for example a new security system had been added but the old system was kept. various electrical bits had been added over the years. I decided to make it in 1:24 scale to include a car.

I went a bit mad and decided to electrify the place, so I added working lights, refrigerator (the light went on when the door was opened) and the burglar alarm. The wildest bit was the sun analyser. I made it big enough to hold a 9 volt battery and made a switch that was operated by turning the arm holding the various wires. Cups, soap dispensers and all of the incidentals - including a kitchen sink and taps were scratch built.

the reason for this post is that it - and all my remaining cars will be going to a local car museum, so this is more of a future reminder for me.

The figure of the girl represents my daughter – she was mad on cars at the time. I painter her with her Snoopy T shirt, converse boots with stars and stripes and a book about Egypt (she'd just come back from a school holiday) I also added the glasses.

Because it's going to a museum, I have just re wired it so all the lights come on by pressing a button. The last picture shows some of the lights -fridge, oscilloscope and strip light.

I know it's plastic, but there's loads of paper on the floor and some in the bin;-)
Attached Thumbnails
scratch built garage-img_2273.jpg   scratch built garage-img_2276.jpg   scratch built garage-img_2277.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
I'd say you went a bit over the top on this one Mike. Still, it certainly has the desired effect in that it looks extremely realistic. A very good job indeed. I'd think a museum would be chomping at the bit to get this for display.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 63.94 MB
Thanks Elliot.

I forgot to mention that when it was first completed, the owner took my photos home (digital hadn't been thought of back then) and she couldn't understand why I had taken pictures of her husbands garage. For a time she didn't believe his explanation.

If you think that's OTT you should have seen the car I had made...... Lotus 7 with a Porsche 911 engine and very wide wheels!
Old 02-18-2016, 01:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is a really remarkable diorama, Mike. It's exceptionally realistic.

Don
Old 02-18-2016, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Very nice. Easily understood how at first glance the photos of that diorama could be confused with photos of the actual garage. Nice touch with the lights.
Google Adsense
Old 02-18-2016, 02:35 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
Fantastic, I love all those little details you spoke of. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
Not only detailed, but also weathered to perfection! I am really impressed!!!

Cami
Old 02-20-2016, 04:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.34 MB
Very well done.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:12 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Beautifully done. Incredible realism and attention to detail.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Most excellent. At first glance I'd have sworn it was were I used to work. Can almost smell the oil, grease and tranny fluid.
Google Adsense

Tags
added, lights, car, mad, plastic, bit, scratch, built, system, decided, made, place, cars, light, years, museum, painter, snoopy, represents, future, reminder, local, remaining, figure, daughter