PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 06-19-2021, 09:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Astromedia Nitinol engine kit

This was a fun build, and it Runs very well on one tea light candle. I took the extra step of "painting" the raw edges with sharpie marker, both black and metallic gold. They don't match perfectly but I thought it gives the kit a bit more finished look.
The firebox and boiler kettle are made from an empty aluminum beverage can, I made an attempt to paint bricks on the lower firehouse portion but the pin-stripe tape I used was of Very poor quality, I will have another go at it when I can source some good tape.
I am impressed with the Astromedia kits and they have some interesting subjects that are functional.

I have left 2 of the arms off the engine for max power, the model is capable of powering a small model Ferris wheel also available in kit form from Astromedia.

You can search YouTube and find video of the model running, I do not yet have a YouTube account.
Attached Thumbnails
Astromedia Nitinol engine kit-20210618_233305.jpg   Astromedia Nitinol engine kit-20210618_231652-1-.jpg   Astromedia Nitinol engine kit-20210618_231855-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Hunterdude; 06-19-2021 at 09:41 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2021, 10:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
This is fascinating, and I knew nothing about Nitinol.

I guess they must give you a sample of Nitinol in the kit?
How much wire do they give you in the kit?
Is it a loop or do you have to make your own loop, and what is the connection?

Apparently Nitinol has a memory life, and will stop working after a time.
So you will need more wire.

Where can you buy Nitinol and how much is it?

lol all the youtube videos (about this model) are in German, so I didn't understand.
I looked up a video specifically about nitinol.
Old 06-19-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
This is fascinating, and I knew nothing about Nitinol.

I guess they must give you a sample of Nitinol in the kit?
How much wire do they give you in the kit?
Is it a loop or do you have to make your own loop, and what is the connection?

Apparently Nitinol has a memory life, and will stop working after a time.
So you will need more wire.

Where can you buy Nitinol and how much is it?

lol all the youtube videos (about this model) are in German, so I didn't understand.
I looked up a video specifically about nitinol.
The kit comes with (1) pre-made belt of Nitinol, the connection looks like a very tiny crimp connection but I may have to look at it under magnification to be sure. The manufacturer states that if you limit you engine runs to about 20 min or less than give the Nitinol a rest period that it can have a long life. I saw spare Nitinol drive bands on the Astromedia site, I think they where about 6 to 8 Euros. I don't know where to get Nitinol in bulk. It is a very impressive alloy. I have logged over and hour of total run time so far and it only seems to be getting better. The wire band that comes in the kit is very soft at room temperature and I would caution to handle it with care until it is mounted on the engine pulleys, I believe if you put a sharp kink or bend in it, that it would greatly shorten the lifespan. I highly recommend the kit, there is a company in UK that offers a discount if you buy the engine kit with the Ferris Wheel as a combo, there shipping prices are low and pretty fast shipping, I can post a link if there is interest!
Old 06-19-2021, 11:13 AM

Here is the link to where I sourced my kit, it also shows the spare Nitinol drive bands.
I guess only the stirling engine and steam engine are discounted with the Ferris wheel kit at this time.

AstroMediaShop
Build a Steam Engine with Ferris Wheel, a Stirling Engine, a Nitinol Engine, a Wimshurst Machine, a Sextant with Artificial Horizon, a Soprano Ocarina, and other models with our AstroMedia cardboard kits that really work!

Last edited by Hunterdude; 06-19-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:26 AM

The kit does provide a decorative name tag and a place for the builder to sign and date the build if desired.
Attached Thumbnails
Astromedia Nitinol engine kit-20210618_231745-1-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-20-2021, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
thats a good find thaks for the link great build by the way
Old 06-20-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
thats a good find thaks for the link great build by the way
Thank you for the kind words, I was really after the steam engine kit, but when I saw that shipping was reasonable, I added the Nitinol engine and Stirling engine to my cart as well as a couple Day/Night lamp kits. The lamp kits where backorder but the engines came and I thought to Start with the Nitinol engine as it was the simplest model and I wanted to build up my skills with paper, I am glad I ordered as the Nitinol model was satisfying build all on its own.