PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 03-15-2022, 09:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Old treasure chest (papermau)

I built this model to use as a Valentine gift box for a present for my wife. There will be more talk than pictures, because I was pressed for time and did not take enough photos. The chest is about 1 1/2W x 2 1/2L x 3H (in inches). I built the bottom box first. I did add a couple of details. Where metal was pictured, I added a layer to make it stand out (see first photo).

I built the outside layer of the box first (photo 2 left) and than the inside of the box (photo 2 right). Because I wanted to use the rim tabs for strength, I glued the inside walls to the "iron rim" tabs and slid it in as one piece (photo 3) Due to the added thickness of the layering of "iron", I had to do a lot of trimming and dry fitting. Next, because I would be gluing all four walls at the same time, I also did a lot of "pretend glue" practice runs. The glue I use, gives me about 40 seconds from application to glue grab. Now I have an extreme admiration for railroad "gandy-dancers". Precise choreography is everything. Photo 4 is the finished box.
Attached Thumbnails
Old treasure chest (papermau)-20220211_234635.jpg   Old treasure chest (papermau)-20220211_213459.jpg   Old treasure chest (papermau)-20220211_215757.jpg   Old treasure chest (papermau)-20220211_234705.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2022, 09:31 PM

Old treasure chest

The top was much easier. Unfortunately, I do not have any build pictures. Time was starting to compress. I shaped the chest outer lid with a half inch wooden dowel and glued the outer end pieces to the shaped lid. Once this was dry, I added the inner shaped piece and then (after the glue dried) sanded the edges level with the outer layer. Next came the inner end pieces. Because of the added "iron layering", these had to be sanded on all sides (a little sanding / a little fitting and repeat).

The hinges, latch, lock and key were worked on when ever I needed to calm my nerves while building the chest. It was a much safer technique than Irish Whiskey. the hinge pins were made from a fine wooden dowel. I built the lock and then cut it to make it an unlocked lock. I cut the end of the key off, so I could have it holding the lock "open". You can see these details in the final three pictures. I really enjoyed building this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Old treasure chest (papermau)-20220214_110018.jpg   Old treasure chest (papermau)-20220214_110034.jpg   Old treasure chest (papermau)-20220214_110156.jpg  
Old 03-15-2022, 09:48 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Great!

Looks wonderful!

What link leads to this?

Great Valentine's Gift!
Old 03-15-2022, 10:28 PM

DC, Thanks. The link is The.Old.Treasure.Chest.Paper.Model.by.Papermau.201 4.pdf - Google Drive

If this does not work, go to the Papermau site, select the year 2014, and then look for model line item 19. Go down to the bottom of the blog for Item 19 and you will see the download statement.

My luck be with you.

John
Old 03-16-2022, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Looks good, sir
Google Adsense