PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 05-24-2024, 08:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Ann, I know you're long past it, and it probably doesn't matter at this point,
but looking back to the Messer KR200...
I don't believe the white area between the fenders is supposed to be visible.
In fact, I think you connect the two white areas, making a pair of fenders with some white in the middle.
Then the body fits over and hides the white area.
The diagram clearly shows one part for the front fenders.
If you feel like it, you can fix it...or just ignore me and keep working through the stash!.
Old 05-25-2024, 06:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That link worked, Anne, but all my Forum posts after 2023 seem to be gone forever.

Are you going to do a rebuild on the Messerschmitt mini-car?

Don
Old 05-25-2024, 06:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Dave — by golly, you are right! <Blush> I’m dubious that I can perform the surgery required without completely ruining the model, but I may give it a try sometime. (side note: when the contractors at the museum were removing the contents of the missile pit, their boss got them all t-shirts that said It IS Rocket Surgery. Best slogan ever.)
Old 05-26-2024, 12:45 PM

I like Century scale (1:100). Continuing my stash builds (while nervously casting glances at the Messerschmitt car), the next sheet in the stack is a Ford Econoline van in FedEx colors. It’s from FDS (Road Series) at www.Minimodel.cz and comes in two versions, wheeled or easy-build. I built the more-detailed version using brochure paper from Paper Source, my preferred paper for small models. This one comes in at 1-7/8 inches long. I couldn’t quite get the front bumper to come out perfect, but aside from that it was an enjoyable, quick build.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3296.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3297.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3298.jpg  

Last edited by Amccombs3; 05-26-2024 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-26-2024, 07:41 PM

Anne. You are a marvel in this tiny scale. I see no issue with the bumper.

I also still remember vividly your

"Itsy bitsy
teenie weenie
yelllow paper
Lamborghini."

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2024, 03:02 PM

What do you think of when you think about Dave Winfield (Airdave)? Many things come to mind, including:
  • His KoolWheelz models, several of which I have built with great pleasure.
  • His generosity. One example (of many) is his designing of several “Intro to Card Modeling” single-sheet models with prior permission already granted for groups to print for distribution at public events. We’ve distributed them at Army Heritage Days and plastic modelers’ shows with great success.
  • His ongoing battle against model piracy and steadfast defense of designers’ rights to their intellectual property.
  • His dislike of cats.
But it’s probably fair to say that the first thing to come to mind is not — candy canes. Nevertheless, that holiday gift from him was the next sheet out of the stash box, in a group of three of his holiday models. It didn’t take me long to put it together. The model is approximately 10 inches / 26 cm long. I found a couple of very minor discrepancies. The red stripe doesn’t quite line up on the underside between parts 8 and 9 (third photo), and there is a superfluous glue strip supplied next to the end marked “B.”

I know there are some KoolWheelz models farther down in the stack, and I’m looking forward to building them when I get there.

While I was at the workbench, I gathered my nerve and attempted the repair/correction on the Messerschmitt KR200. It came out pretty well and the model looks much more like it is supposed to (fourth & fifth photos). I’d like to thank Dave for pointing out my error so I could fix it.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3299.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3304.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3301.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3302.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3303.jpg  

Old 05-28-2024, 08:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Nice recovery/repair on the messerschmidt.

Greg
Old 05-28-2024, 09:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Ever notice the arrow between the E and the X in FedEx?
Old 06-04-2024, 02:28 PM

I seem to have been snakebit on my next stash reduction model. There were several Scissors and Planes models in the stack, and the top one was the Sopwith 1 and 1/2 Strutter. I started building it and things went Horribly Wrong (TM) on the cowling. So I printed another and my printer decided to set the colors to Ugly (in its defense, it may need one or more fresh ink cartridges). At this point I was getting Very Very Angry (to quote Marvin the Martian) and walked away from the workbench. We had a long weekend scheduled out of town, and I came back from that in a much better mood.

Well, I seem to have temporarily lost my modeling moxie, because I made lots of mistakes on the next one, an S&P Sopwith Triplane in 1:100. Sigh. I intend to build a second copy and deep-six this one once my printer is feeling better, but I’ll show this as an example of What Not To Do. It’s out of kilter because I misunderstood the struts. There are four shorter and two longer struts, and I put the longer ones in as interplane struts between lower and mid wings. Nope, the longer struts are the cabanes and the mid wings attach to them in an unconventional way, which I only figured out after assembly and some study of Triplane pictures on the Internet. But besides that, I made poor color choices for my edge coloring so the cowling looks pretty bad. Some of my edges didn’t line up well, like the trailing edges of the upper and mid wings. And in general, the airplane just looks a little askew. So, all in all, not my best work. I’ll do better next time (I hope).

On the plus side, my package from Modelik arrived yesterday from Poland, well packaged and in perfect condition. It contains laser frames for 11 printed models that are in my collection. So I’m happy about that.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3305.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3306.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3307.jpg  
Old 06-04-2024, 02:55 PM

Except for the white top trailing edge (for which you could probably come up with an explanation (they painted it white for night visibility on anti-Zeppelin operations, e.g.) and the anhydral on the lower wing (rookie rigger made a mistake, the erks will re-rig it tomorrow), I think it looks great.

Per Ardua ad Astra.

Don

PS: Lil and I had breakfast today with friends who recently visited the TWA Hotel in Queens, New York. In addition to Lockheed L-1649A Super Constellation N8083H now serving as a cocktail lounge, they have a BMW Isetta on display, which reminded me of your similar (to my eye) Messerschmitt KR200.
Connie's Restoration | TWA Hotel at JFK Airport
Access to this page has been denied

Last edited by Don Boose; 06-04-2024 at 03:07 PM.
Google Adsense