PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 05-18-2024, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It makes a nice little diorama.

Don
Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
This model deserved a better build than I was able to produce. It is “Motor Yacht” by J. F. Schreiber, originally published in 1925 and reprinted as a supplement to “Zur Geschichte des Kartonmodellbaus” (History of Card Models), Vol. 1, published by Arbeitskreis Geschichte des Kartonmodellbaus (Working Group for the History of Card Models) in 2001. Someone was selling Vols. 1-3 at an IPMC convention, and Linda Kemp and I agreed to divide them up between us. She got Vol. 2, which had an architectural reprint, and I got the other two. I don’t understand German, but the pictures are worth the price, especially Vol. 3 which has a picture of the covers of every Maly Modelarz model from 1957-1980.

The reprint was reduced in size to fit an A4 sheet, resulting in a scale of about 1:40. The original was on two 36 x 43 cm sheets at a scale of 1:24. This was an excellent model with impeccable fit, so all the errors are entirely mine. Although the instructions were also reprinted, they were in Fraktur (German Blackletter) typeface, which I couldn’t decode. The problems I had began when I didn’t realize that the aft cockpit upper edge was supposed to be folded over and doubled. I had already assembled that area, and cutting the doubled area so I could glue it to the outside didn’t go well. Also, I somehow introduced a little twist into the cabin. I tried to pull it straight using the top, and that really didn’t go well. The top is visibly warped. And I should have glued the top on after inserting the interior “tub” into the hull, so that I could have positioned and applied pressure to the tub-to-hull glue tabs during assembly. So it’s just generally a little out of alignment.

I still need to make a stand for the model. It is a really nice little model and I wish I’d done a better job on it. It doesn’t look too bad in the photos, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3285.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3288.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3289.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3291.jpg  
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I think it looks great!

Don
Old Today, 04:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
That is a nice looking motor yacht.