PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 05-13-2024, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 204.72 MB
Nice A6M2 Anne!

Doug
Old 05-13-2024, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
I have lots of time to work on models right now because I have just contracted a mild case of Covid. I’m staying in the house to self-isolate. So here is stash reduction model #5, a “Classic Acoustic Guitar.” This is another free publisher’s sample, this one from Kenilworth Press. It is 2-1/2” long and presented no problems, though the length of the various neck parts was a little goofy.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3267.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3268.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3269.jpg  
Old 05-13-2024, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
An interesting variety of models, Anne.

I especially liked the Mini-Mitsubishis.

Don
Old 05-15-2024, 04:12 PM

With stash reduction model #6, I have broken my long-standing rule that I don’t build ships. Here is a Wilhelmshavener postcard model of the “Gret Palucca.” She is described on the postcard as a “typical old German shrimp boat” (technically a boat and not a ship, so I suppose I haven’t broken my rule after all). Her home port is List, on the island of Sylt, the northernmost part of Germany. She is named afer a famed German ballet dancer. When Wilhelmshavener published the model in 1994, the boat was still available for shrimp fishing excursions, but times have changed since then. Sylt’s economy has shifted to tourism, and the Palucca now hosts marine wildlife viewing excursions (mostly seals); she has also done whiskey tasting and pirate cruises.

This was a fairly detailed model for the postcard format. The uncut postcard measured 11 x 16 cm, just over 4-1/4 x 6-1/4 inches. I think I might have gotten it as a door prize or party favor at an IPMC convention. Scale is 1:250. Some of the parts, particularly the spars and the antenna, were very difficult to cut out because they are so slender. The masts were supposed to be rolled, but I didn’t think I could do that successfully, so I scored them and folded them in half instead. The one thing I really disliked was that the publisher put the diagram on the back of the postcard, which was utterly useless once I started cutting out parts, and some of the diagram is visible on the finished model. The postcard diagram was redundant anyhow because it was also printed on the envelope the card came in. Anyhow, quibbles aside, she worked up into a nice little waterline model.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3270.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3271.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3272.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3274.jpg  
Old 05-15-2024, 05:11 PM

I remember that model, Anne!

I brought home several copies and made several unsuccessful attempts to build it, so I am glad to see yours completed.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-16-2024, 06:06 AM

Don, I’m happy that someone else remembered this model! Those slender spars were a challlenge for sure. I’ll be interested to see if you also recognize my next stash reduction model — I got it at the same time.

Last edited by Amccombs3; 05-16-2024 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:42 PM

What’s smaller than a postcard model? How about a business card model? This model of a New York City hot dog cart was designed by Matt Bergstrom of Wurlington Bros. Press as part of the Build Your Own New York series. Forum member “THE DC” has done a fine job recently of profiling Matt’s work, starting here. Matt’s work consists largely of architectural and landmark postcard models, so it stands to reason that a sample would be smaller. I got this at the same time as the “Gret Palucca” and found them both tucked into the same envelope for safekeeping. So it’s another memento of an IPMC convention. Don, did you manage to collect this model when I did?

The uncut model is on a 2 x 3-1/2 inch business card (roughly 5 x 9 cm.). The diagram was printed on the back, so I took the precaution of photographing it before assembly commenced. The paper it was printed on seemed to resist my scoring more than other papers, so there’s a little bit of wonkiness that crept in, but nothing serious. Assembly was straightforward and the tiny model comes in at about 1” long. Scale is stated to be 1:87, so this model could be used on an HO train layout. Printing is impeccable: you can clearly read the menu on the side of the cart. Our tiny customers could choose from hot dogs (Sabrett brand), hot sausages, hot pretzels (two can be seen on the cart, ready to serve), hot knishes, and chestnuts. Since I’m not a New Yorker, I had to look up what knishes are — snacks of baked or fried dough around a savory filling. Sounds delicious!
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3276.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3279.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3278.jpg  
Old 05-16-2024, 01:02 PM

Anne - I have no recollection of this model. Matt may have handed it out at one of the IPMCs that I missed, but it is a neat little model of an unusual subject and as always, beautifully assembled by you.

Don
Old 05-16-2024, 01:34 PM

I didn’t see the hot dog cart listed at Build Your Own New York Postcard Models but there are plenty of other iconic models there. Chicago, San Francisco, Washington, D.C., and other locations link from there also.
Old 05-17-2024, 02:26 PM

Back in 2020, forum member “Captain” (Joe Cangero) told us here that Czech magazine ABC was publishing 15 free downloads of various paper model subjects. They all appear to still be available. This is the June 6 model, obecná škola (elementary school). I have no idea why I downloaded and printed this one out of the 15 — it’s not a subject I have a particular interest in. Possibly the Covid lockdown was making me a little erratic. In any case, it was next in the stack and wasn’t going to take long, so I made a quick build of it.

The uncut model as printed occupies a rectangle 4-7/8” x 6-3/16” (12.4 x 15.7 cm). That doesn’t include the accompanying text and illustration. The text indicates that the original format was 15 x 19 cm, so my copy printed at about 83% of original size, not a big enough difference to matter. The schoolhouse itself went together quickly and easily and fit neatly. With a bit of glitter it would look good in a Christmas “Putz house” village. The provided diorama setting caused me to way-overthink what I wanted to do because I have mixed feelings about that format. I finally realized that I could have it both ways so long as I didn’t glue down the building. The 4” square base was not provided, but I had some scrapbook paper that worked well enough for that purpose.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3283.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3284.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3281.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3282.jpg  
Google Adsense