PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 05-19-2012, 05:39 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
I got the stardream in white and silver. I preferred the stardream because it was the only other 65lb paper I could find other than the wausau pack at officemax. I had asked for two sheets of the white, but only got one. I'll see if I can get a good pic showing the texture.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 05-24-2012, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I located this site, don't know if it helps but they seem to have heavy foil paper as well.
Metallic Cardstock 8.5x11
Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Oh! Look Something Shiny!

Printed a replacement Nosecone for my Saturn V rocket this weekend.

Used the Paper and More White Pearl and Silver metallic cardstock to print identical parts. I did turn off the lite grey "paint" when printing on the Silver.
Metalic Papers Available-shiny1.jpg

This heavy 107# Cover (285 gsm) is equivalent to 160 LB Index!
Metalic Papers Available-shiny2.jpg

My printer has no issues printing on the Peral White, However; the silver had major issues.

1st Try at printing on the silver = cardstock would not feed properly, print job was not started near the top of the page, but about 15% further down. Page was incomplete when printing was done.

Flipped the sheet over and tried again, this time the printer slipped while printing it, causing some sections to be correct, while others were shorter where the printer kept printing but not moving the cardstock...

On the sixth try the silver finally printed correctly (3 of 5 sample sheets used). Good thing I ordered 5 of each!

Really like the Pearl White graphics, the silver caused the same graphics to be darker and harder to see. Black ink on the silver looks fine until you have an area where black is used for effect. This area looks like the ink puddled and then splotches were created as it dried.

Finally last photos show completed CSM/Apollos. Original cardstock thru "shiny" updates. Original has been wet, so ink on it isn't the best, same color of grey ink was used on the Pearl White Next to it (Middle).
Metalic Papers Available-shiny3.jpg

Notice I updated the graphics of the whole CSM/Apollo when compared to the original.
Metalic Papers Available-shiny4.jpg

The Silver for some reason was a problem. Not only for the printer but also when building. Notice how smooth the Pearl White is but, the Silver has creases (krinkle lines?) all over it from when I tried to pre-roll it for gluing.

Both were easy to glue using elmers craftbond glue (not the best white glue). Did have to make sure to hold/clamp longer than normal to make sure the parts didn't spring apart.

Thought ahead and printed a set of white US and flag graphics when the White Pearl was printed. These extra graphics were glued to the silver cardstock as shown.

Thank you Cmags for the heads up on the Pearl white!

Really like the effect of it when the lite grey ink, "paint", is used, turns it into a shiny metal effect.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 05-28-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:19 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Thanks for the review. Glad you found the white paper recommendation useful. Your review of the silver makes me glad I returned my Wausau silver paper. Maybe its the dye used for the color.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 PM

More Shiny Papers = Chrome

Has anyone tried any of these papers?

IT Supplies - Metallic Inkjet Paper

The Chrome-Silver looks promising.

Just bought 5-sheets of the chrome silver for $7.49. Shipping is extra they will be contacting me about it. Lots of other metallic paper available, it is real heavy stuff though. They have a video on youtube that the silver chrome looks like what my project needs, it needs a protective coat of laquer though.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 06-26-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 GB
I found some of this type of card at Hobby Lobby, in their scrapbooking supplies. I bought 12x12 sheets of silver and gold to experiment with. I'm in the process of a design/build project of a 1:12 scale Teardrop Camper, full detailing inside & out. Since I need no printed details on the surface, I'll be printing the templates on the backside of the card stock. I'll start a build thread once it progresses a bit.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:17 PM

Chrome Pure Silver Inkjet Paper

Bought 5-sheets of Chrome Pure Silver Inkjet Paper from IT Supplies.
IT Supplies - Chrome - Chrome Pure Silver Inkjet Paper

The sheets arrived this afternoon. First thing I noticed was the shiny side looks like metal flake. The other side feels like thick photo paper and is white.

It is very shiny! Website says it is 260 gsm.

Noticed that the website says to use the photo or semi-gloss paper settings to print on. Also mentions to let it dry at least 30-minutes before coating with a laquer spray to seal it.

Well as soon as it came off of the printer (HP120c wide format-six color), I tried to get one of the black lines to smear. It didn't.

Printer had no problems dealing with the weight of the paper. Cutting was normal compared to 110# Index or 125# Tag. Very easy to score my fold lines.
Metalic Papers Available-shiny.jpg

The first glue joint held up fine when using my new favorite glue-Aleenes gold bottle Tacky glue.

When I tried to glue the capsule part to the CSM, problems very quickly came to light. After holding and pressing hard, the capsule kept sliding around. After gluing it in 4-different places around the connection, it came apart. The shiny silver came away from the base photo paper as shown in the photo.
Metalic Papers Available-aleenes.jpg

Had to finish the build using super glue that works on paper.

Here are some photos that compare it to previous cardstock. Left is regular cardstock Tag 125#, next is the Pearl White Metallic, Chrome Pure Silver is next, on the right side is the Silver Metallic from paper and more.
Metalic Papers Available-shiny2.jpg
Metalic Papers Available-shiny3.jpg
Metalic Papers Available-shiny4.jpg

Big thing that is easy to see, the ink stands out better than either of the metallic cardstock from paper and more. Black is really black, and looks great, the blue windows shine and have lots better apeal than all of the others. Gold really looks like gold!!!

This stuff can be bought in a 24" wide x 100 ft long roll. Thinking of getting one for the bigger Atlas Rocket I'm working on.

Mike
Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 PM

Found More Shiny Cardstock

Has anyone tried this type of cardstock?
Silver Mirri Cardstock, Specialty Papers, Mirror Coated Cardstock, Discount Cardstock, Scored Cards, Custom Greeting Cards, Custom Invitations, Envelopes, Digital, Ink Jet, Art Paper, Vellum, Mulberry, Metallic, Specialty Paper, Scrapbook Supplies an

Looks bright and shiny!

Mike
Old 07-22-2012, 09:15 PM

Silver Mirror cardstock got here this weekend.

Can't recomend it though. My HP printer had trouble loading it, it reflects back too much of the light the HP uses to verify paper alignment. When it finaly did print on it, the ink just sets on top waiting to smear. this is after leaving it overnight to dry.

Then I tried to spray some laquer to seal it. The ink bled through and still smeared.

Too bad, it really is a reflector! Looks like they applied aluminum foil to the top of the cardstock. Would have looked great on an Atlas booster....

Sure wish there is a replacement for the Red River stuff! Still looking, but, for now it looks like the IT supplies is the best stuff to use.

Does anybody know where to get a spray that can be applied so that inkjet ink will print on this stuff? I've heard that there is, but I haven't been able to find it. A name or brand name would be ideal...

Mike
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 PM

Found some really cool stuff. Problem is to get some shipped to Alaska cost 127% more for the shipping than the product. Total checkout was 18.47 + 23.49 shipping by UPS = $41.96 for 12 letter size sheets. What the?????? USPS first class mail is way cheaper for 12-sheets...Less than $10 or Priority Flat rate would be around the same.

Here is the chrome adhesive film that is inkjet compatible. Inkjet printable metallic adhesive film and paper.

I sent them an email asking for USPS. Hopefully they'll do it, as this stuff looks perfect for printing and then sticking to cardstock.

Mike
Google Adsense