PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 02-03-2015, 12:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Silver Mirror Wall Paper Find

Found this from PRC (Peoples Republic of China).
Mirror effect wallpaper wall paper silver reflective wallpaper stickers pvc stickers furniture film wallpaper gold silver-inWallpapers from Home & Garden on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Looks impressive, free shipping. Wall paper (PVC) with adhesive back.
.18mm = .00708" Thick
61cm wide = 24.01"
10m = 32.80 feet long

Thinking of buying a roll and then using digital grounds for printing.

Anybody try this stuff?

Mike
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.70 MB
Just (re)found this paper that I was quite taken with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aansorge View Post
It has taken two years, but I think I remember the metallic paper I used for the B-17 in silver. It is posterboard I bought from Joanne's (a fabric and crafts store here in the DC area). It must be cut down to 11 x 17. The label on the paper is Two Cool colors, it is silver on one side, gold on the reverse. The UPC code is 071064243160. Printing on a color laser printer seems to make the finished product more glossy.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:51 PM

Silver Chrome Wall Adhesive Wall Paper

Just bought a roll 24" wide x 32ft long of Silver Chrome with adhesive backing wall paper. Looks like mylar in the photos. Cost was $34 US direct from China (free shipping).

To print, bought a quart of InkAid Gloss II for another $45 (includes shipping). Same as digital Grounds but cheaper and available in different sizes up to a 5-gallon bucket. (the quart cost $7 more than a pint of Digital Grounds)

Going to see if this will work for shiny metal look for Ken's Apollo and a Huge F104 Starfighter.

Hopefully it will work or I'm out $79........

Mike
Old 07-25-2020, 03:49 PM

New Shiny Cardstock

While shopping today, stopped in Walmart.

Looking for some mechanical pencils, went past the display for cardstock.

Gold glitter was one option, could not find any silver or chrome, would of bought some silver it they had it.

High priced item, but decided to purchase, could see a shiny canopy and a really cool looking early Atlas.
Metalic Papers Available-pict0909.jpg

Metalic Papers Available-pict0910.jpg

They had some black cardstock, and the astro-brights have some very interesting colors available now.

$5.76 for 10-sheets so will see what I can find this will work best on. Way to expensive for just any model. $0.576 per sheet. I have 2x3ft cardstock that is cheaper....

Mike
Old 07-25-2020, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 169.37 MB
Hmmm....
Are you using these with laser printers? My experience with foiled paper and inkjet printing is not to good. (puddling, smears, poor adhesion... )

P-light
Google Adsense
Old 07-25-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerlite View Post
Hmmm....
Are you using these with laser printers? My experience with foiled paper and inkjet printing is not to good. (puddling, smears, poor adhesion... )

P-light
Inkjet, most laser printers don't work well for papermodels. Ink can get into the paper fibers, the plastic toner can only try to bond to the surface. Once you try bending the laser can sometimes "peel" off.

Mike
Old 03-07-2022, 10:55 PM

Found: Best Available Shiny Metal Look!

Okay after years and years of looking, finally found a suitable paper for doing a shiny F104 Starfighter and B58 Hustler.

I purchased a roll a couple of years ago, it is still in the box. 1-year ago I bought some 11"x14" Size Sheets. Cost to deliver in Alaska was over $4.65 sheet. OUCH!

I just printed a model I'm working on. It is the Apollo Saturn V rocket for Estes power. I decided to print a second display CSM and engine bells. Boy oh boy do they look good.

If you want a shiny metal look: MOAB Slickrock Metallic Silver 300gsm is not cheap, or light weight, but here is a photo to show just how shiny INK can look, yes the ink makes it look much more like metal.
Metalic Papers Available-pict2048.jpg
Metalic Papers Available-pict2047.jpg

No protective spray coating needed, but if you get any moisture at all on the paper it fogs. smears and is ruined.. So far about $8 dollars worth. Was able to use half of a page.
I used a matt spray and it ruined the the sheet I sprayed it on. Do not use protective sprays with out testing is what I'm thinking.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 03-07-2022 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:29 PM

One more view of the metallic paper look-noticed that it looked realistic in this view. You can see a regular cardstock version and the Slickrock:

Does this look like metal shine?
Metalic Papers Available-pict2050.jpg

Mike
Old 03-10-2022, 08:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
It looks great but concerned about smearing when handling the paper (I am not the neatest modeler). I checked the Moab site and they have a 'Desert Varnish' spray. They recommend waiting a day before spraying the print. Curious as to how workable (ex. folding) the paper is after spraying. Some further info:

Moab Paper - Are All Print Fixative Sprays Created Equal?
Old 03-10-2022, 04:23 PM

Gluing/Forming Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
It looks great but concerned about smearing when handling the paper (I am not the neatest modeler). I checked the Moab site and they have a 'Desert Varnish' spray. They recommend waiting a day before spraying the print. Curious as to how workable (ex. folding) the paper is after spraying. Some further info:

Moab Paper - Are All Print Fixative Sprays Created Equal?
Great questions-concern. Not sure about the spray, the following will mention workability.

Yes, it is heavy weight and hard to manage. It did crease when I used my embosser to create a fold line. The pre-rolling needs more than usual, it keeps springing back to flat.

Gluing is a chore, needs super glue-too much and you get little finger prints that stick really well to the Slickrock.

One more photo of the "metal" shine it gives off.
Metalic Papers Available-pict2050.jpg

The background version is the same model printed on cardstock. Big difference in how they look!

Will be doing a very large F-104 Starfighter, I have a roll of this paper for my printer. Been looking for the right paper to do it for some time now. B58 Hustler as well. 1/12 & 1/32 size Mercury-Atlas too.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 03-10-2022 at 04:43 PM. Reason: background comparison
Google Adsense