PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 08-23-2012, 02:47 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Autonomous robotic plane flies indoors at MIT

Autonomous robotic plane flies indoors at MIT - YouTube

A research team at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has designed an autonomous airplane that is able to follow an internal map through a parking garage and navigate successfully, avoiding obstacles, without the use of GPS. The airplane, which has a wingspan of about 6 feet, has to determine where it is on the map in real time, using data from sensors it carries on board -- a laser rangefinder, gyroscopes and accelerometers. It also has to deduce its orientation, velocity and acceleration. To keep track of its position relative to the map at any moment, the airplane has to calculate 15 different values, according to MIT.
Aeronautics professor Nick Roy, head of the research team, said they chose to work with a fixed-wing aircraft instead of a helicopter because it can fly longer and farther, but also because it presents "a more complicated and interesting problem." The airplane is going much faster than a rotorcraft, it can't go sideways or hover, and it can stall if it goes too slow. The researchers now plan to develop technology that will enable the airplane to build a map of its environment on the fly. "There are definitely significant challenges to be solved," says Adam Bry, a graduate student working on the research. "But I think that it's certainly possible."
AVweb
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up Brilliant

This is incredible and spectacular to watch. To fly the course around the car park {not forgetting the wingspan} would be impossible to do from a person using a remote control {he'd have to be a good runner to even try} the fact that the electronics handle all the information in real time is awesome. This opens many doors for further uses and development. Thanks so much for sharing.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great video Sir. How I wish our office did not block Youtube and similar websites. I would really like for co-workers to watch this.

The company I work for is currently developing the next generation of surface and subsurface autonomous vehicles. Such craft can be deployed to free up men from monotonous tasks or tasks which place men in danger. A craft or several can be sent to search minefields and deactivate them.

We are currently waiting for government funding to finally be distributed to projects but the main tasks will be to deploy/recover these vehicles under speed and refuel them. The problems with flying fixed wing aircraft is an example of what we have to overcome to achieve the goals mentioned above. A rolling and pitching surface of the ocean can make these tasks nearly impossible.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Pacifica, Calif. near the coast over looking the Pacific Ocean near San Francisco
Total Downloaded: 842.88 MB
Just an idea Pix but couldn't you e-mail it to yourself and then load it onto your cell phone if you have that ability with your cell phone. Just an idea. I get a whole bunch of these all day long. Only a few a week are worth anything. wc
Old 08-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm afraid that I am not into the whole smart phone fashion like the kids are these days. =)
Google Adsense