PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet > In Other News

Old 08-24-2021, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Prototype Oil tanker road train

1890's photo of Holt three wheel tractor hauling oil tanks in northern Calfornia foothills east of Stockton.
When I lived there a long time ago, it was still possible to trace the road bed of the Stockton[Copperopolis RR.
Stockton and Copperopolis Railroad
and
Stockton and Copperopolis Railroad
Holt Tractor manufactured some huge and weird and wonderful beasts in its early days for ploughing swampy central California fields and hauling goods up and down the Sierra foothills.
The Holt company's old very decrepit fire house building and a heavily rebuilt shed were still standing a few years ago near the corner Aurora Street with Hazelton in Stockton. Evidence of the rest of the once large
factory complex is long gone.
"Stockton - Buildings: Aerial view of Holt Factory" by Unknown
https://d3h6k4kfl8m9p0.cloudfront.ne...80O3UOkFQ.jpeg
"Stockton - Buildings: Aerial view of Holt Factory" by Unknown
holt factory stockton - Bing
The company founder's house is still in existence.
https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/3...-68f95f9e4e4f/

Last edited by John Wagenseil; 08-24-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 08-24-2021, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.93 GB
I am from Walnut Grove. A short way from Stockton. worked for Caterpillar in Walnut grove. Visited the Holt factory grounds in 1955. There were a few Holt tractors left on farms in the Bay area but when I took a gentleman interested in getting a couple to restore, they had all been scrapped. What a loss. I don't know if the Cook ranch is still in the Rio Vista Foothills nut they were an operating museum of Caterpillar/Holt equipment. We were constantly hunting parts for the old Cats and the side hill Caterpillar grain harvesters. The owner was the Cook Enterprises that owned so many grain storage and shipping elevators. He would rather repair the old equipment than replace it. The vineyards around Napa also used old 2 ton and Artillery tractors also used in WWI.