PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 11-20-2010, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.63 GB
There was a sample ware program called Photomodeler Lite that could be used to generate simple models (flat surfaces) from photographs. You might still be able to find a copy to download somewhere on the internet.
The difficult part of this programme is the amount of time needed to manually pick out and label all the index points it needs to generate a model from photos. I think it would be better for traditional buildings and other structures that are mostly flat than your astronaut with its complex curves.
There may be some newer programmes out there that do the same thing, and which are not feature limited and can handle curved surfaces, not just flat planes.
Several years back Microsoft had pilot web based system for converting photos into a viewable 3d object on the web. I don't know if that is still around or if the 3d models can be captured.
Have a go at Googling or Yahooing "photogrammetry" to see if you can turn up anything more recent and low or no cost.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Next Installment:

I have been working on the gloves and boots. The last picture shows where I am at at this point. Note the patch for the flag!

I plan to send this to someone that can Hi-Res scan it for me. I can always simplify from there. Better to start with a higher resolution than low res.

I should be done with the clay modeling portion of the project by tomorrow night.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo1018.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo-1019.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo-1020.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo-1021.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo-1022.jpg  

Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo-1023.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 04:45 PM

Progress:

More detailing..

Just for the heck of it, I couldn't help making a flag - just to see what it would look like.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo2-001.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo2-002.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo2-003.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo2-004.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 07:28 PM

Here are the last pictures for tonight.

A little detailing and cleanup tomorrow, and I think that will do it for the clay portion of the project.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo3-002.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo3-003.jpg   Paper Model Design - a different approach...-apollo3-004.jpg  
Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Eternal Member

WOW the clay model itself is a keeper. A very realistic
sculpture....Ron
Google Adsense
Old 11-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Great stuff Ken! Keep it coming! I gotta ask too - how are you gonna 3d scan it?
Old 11-21-2010, 07:33 AM

3d Scanning Technology has been around for a few years, but recently it has become more affordable; but still sill quite expensive. We use large scale machines in the automotive business.

Basically, the model will sit on a rotating pedestal, and the machine fires a moving laser toward the model. The laser beam returns and records the distances. It does this thousands of times per second. Works very similar to CC or DVD, except that instead of recording 0's and 1's, it records relative distance.

Once the scan is completed, the scan data is entered into a software program that converts the data into a 3d image. Very rough at this point. But, it is accurate.

Ken
Old 11-21-2010, 07:48 AM

YouTube - Amazing 3D Scanner/Printer!

This video will explain it better than I can.

Ken
Old 11-21-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
WOW the clay model itself is a keeper. A very realistic
sculpture
I am in complete agreement! Makes me want to break out my pile of clay right now!

Old 11-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Absolute Final Dimensional Contortionist Judicator

Total Downloaded: 398.11 MB
I like it, nice sculpt!
Google Adsense