PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 04-15-2011, 12:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Manic View Post
I had a Timex Sinclair 1000 for a while. The keyboard was very irritating and frankly that is the nicest thing I can say about it.
pictured here with the 16kb memory expansion unit

I was waiting for this one to show up. This was my second computer. My first was the TI-59C which had an assembly language programming language which could store almost a 400 line program in it.

My next one was the VIC 20 when it had its price break from $500 to $150. That was about 9 months before the C64 came out. I had that one beefed up to 12k so I could run a 2400 baud modem and 40 characters per line instead of 22. I had the first dial-up terminal on campus to the mainframe; a univac 1100. I could rent out my terminal for $10 an hour if I wanted.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Did everyone have a Vic 20 as well then?
Got four C64 computers as part of my 8/16 bit 'museum', never used one though, thought C64 went through it's retro stage 5-6 years ago, must have took that long to cram a pc into the space.

Here's a good question for you, when you were programming / using your 8 bit machine you must have dreamt about the day you could have a play on a supercomputer, now that you are using that super computer, what do you think to it?

Personally, i'm wishing the windows core operating system came on a rom board with it's own memory.... still can't get *basic to work :(
Old 04-15-2011, 01:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by codex34 View Post
Did everyone have a Vic 20 as well then?
Got four C64 computers as part of my 8/16 bit 'museum', never used one though, thought C64 went through it's retro stage 5-6 years ago, must have took that long to cram a pc into the space.

Here's a good question for you, when you were programming / using your 8 bit machine you must have dreamt about the day you could have a play on a supercomputer, now that you are using that super computer, what do you think to it?

Personally, i'm wishing the windows core operating system came on a rom board with it's own memory.... still can't get *basic to work :(
Ironically I use my new "supercomputer" for bascially doing the same thing I used my Vic-20 for, Dialing into a bigger machine to get programming done. Only now I have more toys and sparkly pictures and sounds to distract me.

modem has been exchanged for a telnet session.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Hi ghshinn, eric_son, and anyone else interested,
Yes, I plan to design the Commodore peripherals. I have already measured the datasette, 1541, and others to design the patterns. I have a few monitors I need to measure as well. I'd really like to measure an old Atari-style joystick; I wore out quite a few of them!

I'm a member of the Cincinnati Commodore Club, so I have access to quite a bit of original equipment. That really helps a lot to have something to measure and get the details and colors right.

John Leslie, I have access to a Timex-Sinclair computer so I will be designing up a model of this before too long.

Best Regards,
Old 04-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Ron, if you ever want to do a Commodore Colt, I can provide you with pictures/measurements. Whay, pray tell, is a Colt? It's proof that the new Amiga (stuffed with Intel/PC components) is a legitimate extrapolation of Amiga technology into the 21st century. The Colt was essentially an IBM XT in a Commodore case. Unfortunately, the one I have works like a PC all too well....any startup attempt ends in the blue screen of death.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 12.28 MB
Darwin, I just sent you a PM, thanks!

If anyone else has access to ANY older 8-bit computer (and peripherals), please feel free to PM me with the details. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,
Old 05-10-2011, 12:16 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Bah - I know all the C64 guys (and Apple IIc guys for that matter) were jealous of my TI99/4A back in the day. I can remember to this day having computer class on the Apples and complaining to the teacher that my computer at home could do things the ones at school couldn't - and they looked at me funny - 'you have a computer at home'?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
I loved my C-64... ah, the memories. The first computer in my home, circa 1985.

Wyvern
Old 05-10-2011, 11:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 8.19 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansls1 View Post
Bah - I know all the C64 guys (and Apple IIc guys for that matter) were jealous of my TI99/4A back in the day. I can remember to this day having computer class on the Apples and complaining to the teacher that my computer at home could do things the ones at school couldn't - and they looked at me funny - 'you have a computer at home'?
For me it was the opposite.
All the Apple IIc, PCjr and TI99 kids were jealous of my C64.
I knew how to showcase the good stuff of the C64 like its 8-independently controlled sprites, the 3-voiced SID chip, among other things. I was able to produce a good rendition of the Moonlight Sonata on my C64 which floored them.

I guess it was just a matter of knowing how to bring out the best in your machine. Clearly my friends back then were just plain consumers who didn't know how to maximize what they had.