PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Aluminum Can Planes and Helos--Warthog Corsair Zero Apache

Last year some time I had seen one of the soda can planes ngwithrsd had built. A definite big thanks to him for the inspiration.

I finally got around to building my first plane last year while on vacation. For quite some time I didn't mess with them anymore. However, for the last three months, I have really become hooked designing and building them. Since I am just starting out, there is going to be a big learning curve as technique is developed. For starters, I will just post the finished products, later I may show how I do it if interest exists.

Ultimately, I am hoping to offer plans for about a dozen planes. I will be spending the next year developing the templates and instructions to go with them.

Here are the ones I have have so far...Enjoy!

Last edited by JLO; 01-07-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 509.63 MB
Looks like fun , please keep us posted
Old 01-07-2012, 12:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
I have done my duty, HA HA HA. Another artist joins the dark side! Together we can take the P out of the IPMS yet!

While JLO is working on learning the art of aluminum aircraft, I have moved on to a series of automobiles. Welcome JLO!
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.66 MB
the warthog and the corsair are just stunning! those soda cans were recycled the right way.

Old 01-07-2012, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Quote:
I may show how I do it if interest exists
Yes, even it is not paper, it resembles paper in the way you need to handle it (I think). So I am interested how you cut these nice straight lines, and how you fasten the parts together. Please show us.
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2012, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 287.89 MB
Here is the original thread that started this all:

Aluminum Can Model B-29; a tutorial on how I build them
Old 01-07-2012, 05:04 PM

Here are my basics. Xacto knife, straight edge, hot glue gun, and fingernail file for scoring. Here is what I have on building the back half

I have found a dremel tool to be the fastest way to cut ends off of cans. I am using a reinforced wheel that will generally last 100+ cans.

There are a couple different ways I use the pattern. In this picture I have taped the vertical stabilizer in place and will cut around it.

Since the scores need to be done on the reverse side, I mark each end of the score with my scoring tool. Once cut out I will connect the dots with a straight edge and scoring tool.

Next I run a very very heavy glue bead down the score and glue to other side.

Instead of cutting a right and left, I cut one side, glue it in place and then cut out the second piece using the first as a template. This gives a much cleaner finished part.

Next, I made the horizontal stabilizers using the same method. They are then attached to the vertical stabilizer as shown.

Next I begin making the fuselage starting at the rear. Since I am going to be making a number of long straight scores and cuts I lay the pattern over the can as shown and puncture the can at the end of each score and cut.

Next, I flip the can over and connect the points using a straight edge.

Once both sides are cut out, beginning with the top seam, I align the right side to the left and tape in place.

Next, I hinge back one side exposing glue tab and apply a very heavy glue bead.

To keep the bottom seam clean, I tape the fuselage externally and pour lots of hot glue down the seam on the inside of the fuselage.

After constructing the next section of fuselage I align and tape the two sections in place and once more, pour lots of glue on the inside seam.

The engines are the easy part. The model was scaled so a full can is used.

The turbines are a circle cut with a series of scores and cuts.

Here is what I have on building the back half
Old 01-07-2012, 05:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 107.05 MB
Send a message via MSN to bf109
i'm loving it keep JR's plane coming
Old 01-08-2012, 12:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.17 MB
Wow!!!! I hope to see more.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:47 PM

Here are some pics of my Zero wing build.

This calls for all the usual supplies, xacto knife, scoring tool, hot glue, mat, straight edge and a couple other odds and ends.
Cutting the cans consistently is easily done by buzzing the ends off using a dremel tool.

I typically cut through the ingredients chart as shown. I use the upper dark line as a point on either end. This is very useful when the top edge needs to be cleaned up.

The first step in constructing the lower half of the wing is to cut and smooth out 8 cans. Gently roll in the opposite direction the can wants to roll. Next, make a straight edge along the top of each can using the top of the ingredients chart for reference.

Once trimmed, shingle them in long skinny line. I typically overlap approximately 1/8"-3/16" . Tape each seam entirely.

After taping all sheets, fold the first sheet back and apply heavy bead of hot glue. Repeat until all seams are glued.
Next, tape pattern in place and mark each end of the score with a scoring tool. Once done, flip over and connect the dots using a scoring tool. The scores help the wing stay flat. Once scores are done, the wing my be cut out.

Once this is done, mark wing location for supports and then cut wing out using template

Cut two folded wing supports for each side and glue in place using marks as guide

Add additional glue at all seams
Google Adsense