PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 10-13-2008, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Books and Games.

When not building in cardstock, I like to play boardgames, particularly war-game and related boardgames. Its a pretty esoteric hobby- not too many of us out there. But the internet has help out by allowing me to play games via email. I have about 350 or so games. I've only played about 1/4 or them. I guess I'm more of a collector these days. I dont have a particular type- I"ll play chess, or Risk, or just about any game on any military subject. Here are a few pics. One is part of my Wall of Games, the other is my computer at home where I do most of my email and online gaming.

I've also done a bit of photoshoping for a few games, mostly maps and cover graphics. A couple even got published! My name up in lights; seen by, oh, maybe 100 people!

Those shots are in my "den"...really just part of the basement my long suffering wife has allowed me to take over. Its decorated with about 75 models or so. I've pretty much run out of shelf space.

And when I'm not doing that, or building, I read history and sci.fi.

Yep, I'm a total nerd, and proud of it!
Attached Thumbnails
Books and Games.-game_collection.jpg   Books and Games.-my_den.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I remember back in the early 1970's when I was at university we would have some marathon games of Risk. Always fun.

There were some hex based games from a company called Simulations Publications, Inc. that we played a lot too. Chariot, Frigate, and Tank! come to mind.

Chariot was about warfare in ancient times. Egyptians, Babylonians, etc..
Frigate was about sea warfare with sailing ships around the Napoleonic era.
Tank! was about tank warfare in the 20th century.

Oh, and I have found a box with some books from the SciFi Book Club that I was a member of back in 1969-1970.
No Revenge, Just Contentment. :D
Old 10-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Cool collection - I've seen a few I've played and probably a ton more I'd have fun with
Old 10-13-2008, 01:33 PM

I recognize Panzer Blitz back there. My brother and I played that for days on end, I remember we used to argue over who got to be the Germans and get the Hummels in their army.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Avro, too bad you aren't closer...we could spend a bit of time gaming. My collection runs more into role playing, but looks like there is considerable overlap between our collections.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 PM

Anybody ever play Panzer Pranks? 'WWII the way it really was in the movies'
Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Wargaming was very much a hobby of the 70s. The bubble burst in the 80s...too many companies trying to sell to too few players. Simulation Publications Inc (SPI) went under and was bought up by another company. Avalon Hill the other "big player", struggled on and eventually got sold to Hasbro in the late 90s. Over the past 10 years or so, there has been a minor resurgence in the hobby, with the internet and software avaiable making it easy to play these turn based games via email, and even online. The market is still small, and the companies publishing are small as well. A small market means limited print runs, which in turn means these games are pricy: $50 to $75 being a comon price.

The graphics have come a loooong way since the 70s. The games published now are works of art. But they usually still retain the basic wargame aspects of (relatively) complex rules (10 pages or more), a large (22 by33 average) map to play on, and a fair number of paper counters to move about and fight with. Oh and they still take you pretty much all night to play.

Here are two pictures to show you what I mean. The first is part of the map I helped create for a game on the Roman Civil Wars. The second is a wargame of the Hundred Years war between France and England. (Thats not me in the picture...I just think that the map and game counters for that game are beautiful...I only wish I could make something that nice!)

Panzerblitz was the first wargame I owned! And yes I have seen, but not played, Panzer Pranks. You actually played it? I thought it was just made up as a kind of wargame spoof, and as such was meant to be read and laughed at.
Attached Thumbnails
Books and Games.-ceasermapfinal.jpg   Books and Games.-pic347277_md.jpg  

Last edited by avro202; 10-14-2008 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 05:58 PM

Oh no, it was definately playable, although the sound effects requirement made malt beverages a must.
A typical turn might involve,"Gnrrclankclankclank Clang smack click BOOM vroooosshh wafflewafflewaffle Whump!"
Being a heavy tank advancing, the main gun breech shutting, the gunner kissing it for luck, the firing pin dropping, the gun discharging and the shell passing overhead to explode in the distance.

Favourite rule modifiers involved the US forces getting a movement bonus when advancing towards the Co*a Co*a machine (only good for 3 turns before the machine burned out on european 220v), and the German Wonder Weapon the Rugrumpler, which saved up all it's movement point for one collosul leap - being treated as an artillary shell for accuracy and scatter.

But then what do I know, I also played Bunnies and Burrows .
Old 10-14-2008, 06:15 PM

That's hilarious!
Old 10-14-2008, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
The Panzer Pranks sounds like it's right up my alley! I love to make strange sounds. And, if it's in a game setting, nobody would call me crazy (okay, they would, but it would be for a reason).:p
Google Adsense