PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 07-01-2021, 03:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I’m in northern New Jersey
Old 07-02-2021, 09:16 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
rmks2000 - As suggested by Glen the first bird sounds like a juvenile American Robin.

Here you are...

Have you got more info on the other bird?
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-whatsapp-image-2021-07-02-5.13.15-pm.jpg  
Old 07-02-2021, 11:50 AM

Kevin,

That may be a juvenile but I haven't noticed any spots on the wings. As far as th other one, a catbird is a possiblity. I haven't seen it today but will try to observe it closer. Thanks.

Bob
Old 07-03-2021, 07:15 AM

I can confirm tat te second bird that I asked about is a catbird! It hasn't made any sounds to distinguish it, and the darn thing blends in too well with the bark of my maple tree that it was hard to distinguish with my tired old eyes. It also doesn't stay in one place very long. Fortunately my trusty binocs helped identify it as I wasn't seeing the black stripe on it's head with the naked eye. Now that I can confirm that my eyes aren't as good as I thought, a juvenile robin is most likely the first bird. Hoping to confirm with the binocs soon. Thanks again Glen and Kevin.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:47 AM

Climate change?

Something unusal happened yesterday. There was a flock of Robins, and a flock of Starlings that stayed for most of the day in my yard and street. The temperature was 17 degrees F. in the AM when they first arrived but did warm up to 27 later in the day. It was 12 degrees an hour ago and the Starlings were back for a brief visit. Ususally I won't see Robins or Starlings until Spring so a bit confused as to why they were here in the winter. I'm located in northwest New Jersey.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It is strange that I have Robins and Grackles all year long, but my folks who only live 100 miles away only see an occasional Robin, Starling or Grackle over the winter.

I am glad it wasn't too icy on Saturday or I might not have been able to slow down enough to avoid hitting the bald eagle ( or thankful that it was icy enough for me to not be driving too fast to slow down )
Old 01-11-2022, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A bald eagle on the road? That must be a rare occurrence. Glad you didn't hit it, Dave.

We have grackles all year round, but the robins have either migrated or are deep in the woods during the winter here in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA.

Associations: one spring I observed northern flickers hanging out with the robins over a period of a couple of weeks, and once at Cape May I watched across a pond as hundreds of "black birds" - grackles, starlings, brown-headed cow birds, and robins settled into the trees with a sound like some giant machine.

Meanwhile, the first bluebird of 2022 showed up at the feeder on Sunday. No camera handy, but yesterday I captured a grumpy-looking Caroline wren puffed up in the cold.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-220110_caroline_wren01.jpg   "birding" fun-220110_caroline_wren02.jpg  
Old 01-11-2022, 10:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Nice Don to see a bluebird this time of year. I was watching the Sacramento reserve live feed and a large number of blackbirds were there, and then I had a nice spring thought that they might, at least the males, be on their way here because they appear in February regardless of the weather…
In temperate regions of the US the robins don’t fully migrate, but flock up to travel orchard to orchard, or wherever food is for them. Even though the males can’t tolerate any other robins in a 1/2 mile of them in the spring, they seem to completely change in the winter to travel in flocks. Then when the days begin to lengthen they show up in the yard, and chase each other about again.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:30 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Maybe the bald eagle was on some roadkill?

I always stop here and remove roadkill (carry disposable gloves for messy bits) to the sides of the road. Here they are a real magnet to birds of prey who then either get hit on the ground or when taking off.

Its a small thing to do to keep nature on an even keel.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
The eagle was just flying across the road very low to the ground.

Funny you should mention bluebirds. There was one perched on my folks' dog Brookie's food dish on their porch Sunday morning. They are somewhat regular at Dad's feeder