PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 05-30-2023, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Mike I am not using a cellphone ha, the oriole at the time I was just trying to maneuver to get a clear shot, and was surprised how nicely framed it was.
Don thanks for the update on spring birds in Pennsylvania, you have quite a few woodpeckers there, DJ Macneil is studying warblers and Scarlet tanagers in your state...
Old 06-28-2023, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Bird ID help

I have a sparrow-like bird nesting in a my birdhouse on the front lawn. It is slimmer than a sparrow and a little larger that the hummingbirds we get in northern New Jersey. The feathers have a smooth look similar to a catbird, with a white breast and brown coloring for the head and back. It seem to have horizontal white stripes on the wings or tail. One feature is a dagger-like black mark from its eye downwards. Also, the bird has a pretty trill song. I can't get a decent picture of it due to the fact that it doesn't stay in one place long enough, plus my ancient iPhone is not great at distances. Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.
Old 06-28-2023, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Perhaps it is a wren of some sort. They are small, flitter around a lot, and have very loud trilling call.

It always surprises me how such a loud sound comes from such a small bird.
Old 06-28-2023, 04:14 PM

I was thinking the same, a Carolina wren might fit that description? they are hole nesting birds
Old 06-28-2023, 05:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I thought it was a wren but the eye 'dagger' is throwing me off. I'll have to try to get a better view and hopefully a photo. Thanks guys for your input.
Old 07-04-2023, 07:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm thinking Carolina Wren, too.

Here's my Independence Day Bird Count:

In the garden: Cardinals, starlings, grackles, robins, red-winged blackbirds, house finches, red-headed, downy, and red-bellied woodpeckers, bluejays, catbirds, mourning doves, black-capped chickadees, tufted titmice, white-breasted nuthatches, one house sparrow, and one Carolina wren. 18 species, all the usual summer backyard birds except the song sparrow, chipping sparrow, blue bird, hairy woodpecker, tree swallow, and ruby-throated hummingbird, all of which I know are out there in the woods. There are usually sapsuckers, and a brown thrasher or two before the summer is over, as well.

High in the sky: great egret, blue heron, red-tailed hawk, turkey vultures, and chimney swifts.

Don
Old 07-04-2023, 09:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I was too busy drowning Japanese beetles to pay much attention to the birds.

I did remove 108 beetles from the breeding population and slowed down their destruction of my plants
Old 07-05-2023, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
I'm thinking Carolina Wren, too.

Here's my Independence Day Bird Count:

In the garden: Cardinals, starlings, grackles, robins, red-winged blackbirds, house finches, red-headed, downy, and red-bellied woodpeckers, bluejays, catbirds, mourning doves, black-capped chickadees, tufted titmice, white-breasted nuthatches, one house sparrow, and one Carolina wren. 18 species, all the usual summer backyard birds except the song sparrow, chipping sparrow, blue bird, hairy woodpecker, tree swallow, and ruby-throated hummingbird, all of which I know are out there in the woods. There are usually sapsuckers, and a brown thrasher or two before the summer is over, as well.

High in the sky: great egret, blue heron, red-tailed hawk, turkey vultures, and chimney swifts.

Don
Hi Don it's a nice time for birds although kind of quiet lately except for the swallow babies poking out of the boxes for their moms.
We went for a bike ride and saw a cool young Redtail
at home are vg swallows 3 types of hummers we are working on telling the females apart it is a challenge as the rufous and the black chins are about the same size. This year a pair of rufous hummers decided to stay and nest.
Osprey, bald Eagle, C Geese, Caspian terns spotted sandpipers at the lake, young towhees cassin's finches, goldfinches, robins, song sparrows with little scruffy ones too, juncos, house finches, yellow warblers wb nuthatch and r b nuthatch, in fact a young wb nuthatch got into the house on friday... bc chickadees, flickers, Kingfishers, GBH, Ring billed gull... entertaining and I know I'm spoiled with birds but most are not rare typical Western or water birds
Old 07-09-2023, 01:37 PM

Violet green swallow fledglings flying back to the box… they are hoping for some more feedings haha
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-1aec1179-2bf8-456a-a2c0-76c9aa6c1804.jpg   "birding" fun-70fa2992-62d1-41a1-86c3-e6a6390ade58.jpg   "birding" fun-a86d215b-88a5-4596-9fa7-61bd6aee9a0d.jpg   "birding" fun-80b4c1c0-2bb1-4f4c-bfec-cea1bd5b6de1.jpg  
Old 11-27-2023, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Brown Thrasher?

Earlier this month, I captured a snapshot of what I take to be a brown thrasher at the feeder in the bak garden. I often see them in the spring and summer, but do not recall ever seeing one this late in the year.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
"birding" fun-231103_brown_thrasherr.jpg   "birding" fun-231103_brown_thrasher_closeup.jpg