PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 04-02-2013, 10:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.71 GB
Design Model Furniture

My wife said I took up too much space on her desk when I was working on my paper models, and I needed to get my own workspace. After looking in furniture stores and online, I couldn't find exactly what I needed in a desk/workbench, but I found one design that had possibilities, but was way too expensive. I decided that I could adapt the design of a tab & slot desk system and build it myself. I started design work in CorelDraw, and decided to check my design with a beta test model, in 1/6th scale. These pictures are the results of my first build.
Attached Thumbnails
Design Model Furniture-p1250010.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1250011.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1250012.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1250013.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1250014.jpg  

Old 04-02-2013, 10:53 PM

In building this scale test model of my new workbench, I built up seven layers of cardstock and cardboard, for a total thickness of just under 1/8". This simulated 3/4" plywood, which will be used for the real thing. I laminated the plys with Bron double adhesive roll, which is pretty easy to work with. Here are some pics of the trial layout, on 8" square cardboard, which is scale for the 4' x 4' oak furniture grade plywood that I will be using.
Attached Thumbnails
Design Model Furniture-p1250003.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1250004.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1250006.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1250007.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1250008.jpg  

Design Model Furniture-p1250009.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 PM

This initial test build revealed some measurement mistakes, so I fixed those and decided to build version 2.0, and while I was at it, opted to add some improvements. These photos show an extension, a hutch, and a second rolling file box. There are other optional items I can add later, but I think I'm ready to start building the full-sized workdesk.
Attached Thumbnails
Design Model Furniture-p1010224.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1010225.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1010226.jpg   Design Model Furniture-p1010227.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 11:03 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Hutch looks good, you could mount a small LED tv under the shelf, and you watch tv or run your desktop computer from it, and the extension looks like a good printer stand with paper storage under the top
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 04-02-2013, 11:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Rickstef's correct, that this could be a computer desk for any adult or a study desk for any student -- as well as dandy for many kinds of hobbies. So hang on to your plans, because you may well get requests to build several of them for other people. And if you have young grandchildren, they'd love scaled-down versions, finished in bold colors. (I think I hear Santa chuckling already.)
Google Adsense
Old 04-03-2013, 01:16 PM

Now there is a good idea, scaled down versions for the little people. I will keep the plans, definitely, but alas, I cannot share them, because the basic idea of the tab & slot desk was patented.

Tags
design build, furniture, scale beta build