PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-17-2013, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Nice photos guys. Apparently all the "camera?" threads here have payed off. Today I was hassled by a wood (carpenter) bee. Not a problem, as we have the "Africanized" bees in our area from time to time.

I've seen the ads for "Honest Tea", and they talk about "organic honey". Really? That sounds redundent to me, since all honey is organic. The one substance on earth that never spoils, what on earth could "inorganic" honey be?

I have seen the ground (or rock) squirrels in Montana (Pika), but they are getting hard to find these days.

I didn't know that "velvet ants" are actually wingless wasps, until one of them stung the *#@! out of me. It felt like somebody extinguished a cigarette on my big toe!

The "velvet spike" photos are my favorite.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:43 PM
Eternal Member

Location: Curently live in High Desert country, Redmond, Oregon to be specific.
Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to Ashrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by birder View Post
Love your ground squirrel Ash, nicely composed with the wood, ect and such a pretty animal. Our actual chipmunks (which are actually still squirrels technically) have lines on their face and are very small, the mountain chipmunk being one of the smallest in the US I think. Your flowers and bumbles are nice, Curt! enjoyed them. We had a surprise yesterday, my son has befriended a young buck whitetail, maybe the same he was feeding as a fawn summer before last, and I have a odonata for Ash to help with, Darners don't sit much, so lucky to see this fellow warming up in the morning
The easiest way I have found to tell the difference between chipmunks and ground squirrels is that line on the face. Chipmunks have it...ground squirrels don't...but it isn't fully reliable...as a naturalist once told me there is always something to make IDing some species difficult.

The darner is most likely a juvenile California Darner. There are a number of darners which carry very similar markings (see last sentence in paragraph above). One of the best markings for darners is the stripes on the side of the thorax. Each darner has a different style of stripe, be it coloration and design.

The California Ground Squirrel has recently (within the past six years) invaded my area of Oregon. I guess the squirrel is taking a cue from the people heading north.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Glen, nice pictures.

What camera are you using?
Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Thanks for the comments! It's funny how a bumble bee is just a bumble bee until you get a really good look at one through the lens of a good camera. I'm simply amazed at the quality of image that I'm already getting with this one.

I did take a stab at identifying the two different types of bee on this page and gave up. Seriously it's harder that avian raptor id's. Oh well maybe Ash can help with this.

Curt
Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Thanks Kevin all these pics were taken with the Powershot sx20is, it's a great tool for me as it does most all the work, I don't mind hiking around quietly, you never know what might pop up So far it's the only camera I have of the modern vintage.

Ash your help is appreciated, looking at the darners in the same genus it looks very much like a California, can even compare venation a bit which is also looks consistent, was trying to see the side but unable with the way he was holding on up there The California ground squirrel was taken in Oregon at Newport south jetty beach park.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Nebeltex,

Upon further review prompted by your comment about being "hassled by a carpenter bee" I am now pretty sure that my bumble bees are in fact carpenter bees. They seem to have a great curiosity about humans or they aggressively defend their territories. Either way they can be annoying though I've yet to be stung by one.

Curt
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
I don't think the wood bees sting, but I would not want to be (bee) the first to find out, judging from my velvet whatever experience. I have learned to discern euro from Afrikan bees here in Texas.

Here is a photo of some real "wild life". Please take note of the spooky "orb" at the left foreground, and the glowing animal eyes in the background to right. Everything else is superficial....lol!

Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Eternal Member

I do not get it.

What is the actual biological difference between a squirrel and a chipmunk?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Kevin just related, to quote"[I]Wild Animals of North America[I]" an old text 1918
is my copy by Edward W Nelson "The chipmunks are close relatives of the tree squirrels, but live mainly on the ground, are provided with cheek pouches for carrying food to their hidden stores, and have many ways similar to the spermophiles, or ground squirrels."
Old 06-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Eternal Member

Thank you!