PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 02-28-2009, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I know,

Some vendors in vietnam have the kinds of machine. they have cnc, drill press, milling...but hardy have the one G0463 I picked up from the grizzly. that's great 2-in-1 machine that look like to fit my needs, my tiny wheels.

We all know that USA, Germany, Japan..are excellent at producing machinery. not china

Last edited by dmd_hn; 02-28-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Banned

There is some really high quality stuff in China. You have to know where to look and have the ability to inspect the machines. There's a lot of crap my in my country (USA) too. I have a SHOPTASK Mill/Lathe combo unit made in China that is extremely well made and extremely overbuilt. If you could find one of these you would be happy. it has 12 inches of travel crosswise and 10 inches in and out and about 12 inches from spindle to table. A lot for a small machine. It can also readily be converted to CNC. No longer made but there are 1000's out there.
Attached Thumbnails
how to produce metal model train weels?-shoptask.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 07:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Allow me to chime in,folks. Since you live in Vietnam, please check that you can obtain a power converter so that the machine will run for you.

Next, you need a dial or vernier caliper and a micrometer so that you can do precision measurements. Finally, find a school that will teach you the basics of precision machining.

I have a different opinion about the Smithy and Grizzly machines, but I am rather a purist. Either will perform satisfactorily as long as you take the time to set them up properly. I just hate wasting all that time just to set the machine up.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

@cdavenport, purists eh, Cincinnati Toolmaster was a favorite of mine, much more hearty than a Bridgeport Miller. I also liked the Kearny and Trecker 4 axis CNC milling machines I programed, also the Matsura's and Cincinatti Milacrons.. I had at my disposal 2 Bridgeports, a Horizaontal miller, a turret lathe and various drill presses and grinding machines to support the CNC area I ran at Sikorsky Aircraft as I made the fixtures and the parts. I worked with "purists" too. I have trouble with that term as there are many ways to make the same part, it depends on the experience of the individual. The key is working with what you have and as far as matching voltage that is rather easy to do. I would assume this individual will be learning about all the tooling he will need. Setting up machines is 90% of what machining is about. Some are better at setting up than others. I often hear people speak of what they would prefer to have but in reality have little. I made a recumbent trike using a Shooptask machine and a 9" Southbend Lathe. I also have a Mig and Tig welder.
When you are getting started you have to start at the beginning. Without knowing the space requirements of this individual it would be hard to tell him what he needs.

He won't need a school if he has access to the internet, not with all the info out there. He is fluent in English and with enough stock he will figure it out. As far as Mic's go he should have a 0 to 1",1" to 2", 2" to 3", at least, a dial indicator. A test indicator that reads in tenths. A Metal vernier caliper (not plastic). A Square, enough stock to make parallels for his vice, and since he is buying a milling machine, a good 8" rotary milling table marked in degrees.
Machining is easy if you are patient and have half a brain.

I never went to school for machining but ended up the highest paid man in every shop I worked in. I taught myself trigonometry and how to program CNC machines.
I wrote the first couple of 100 programs at Sikorsky converting from tape to CNC machines. A motivated person can go very far and the Vietnamese people have show themselves to be motivated.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:47 AM

Yup, good points all.

Purist- one who uses the best and most correct tools so that s/he doesn't waste time. Of course, it's all a matter of what is available to you, isn't it? If you have champagne tastes and a beer wallet, then you have to work with what you can afford.

BTW, Zathros, you are one lucky sonofagun being able to use all those cool machines. I have done only a smidgen of cnc milling and lathe work, but it is a hoot! Just don't have the luxury, but I do have several engine lathes and a nice Bridgeport knock-off mill as well as some table top stuff.
Google Adsense
Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM
Banned

Up here we'd call you a pragmatists. It's funny how dialects change meaning from one state to the next. Up here purists never get anything done because it's never right. But I know what you mean. You'd be surprised how easy it would be to change that Bridgeport knock off into a 2 axis cnc machine. A couple of stepper motors, some toothed belts and a cheap laptop. It really doesn't take much but it's more fun the old school way, especially when nobody is on your back. Machining gives one a sense of accomplishment that only machnists can realize.

I used to make the tail hinges for the CH53E Helicopter on a manual machine. It was a titanium forging, harder than h@ll to work with. I also machined the "D" rings for the CH53E's, that is the big round thing that changes the blades pitches and collective. I wrote about 400 programs there covering 160 different parts. A great place to work, but very serious. Everything had to be perfect. Blackhawk helicopters vary by no more than .040" from nose to tail between their overall length.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM

Well, whatever it's called, I think of it as trying to get from Point A to Point B as quickly and efficiently as possible so I have more time to waste! LOL!

You had a cool job. I actually know what parts you are referring to. I was a USAF navigator in the day and aviation was my lifeblood. So, I knew the ins and outs of just about every aircraft you could think of. I guess you could call me a plane geek!

I have thought about upgrading to CNC milling but I don't do enough repetitive work to justify the effort. I am sure you will agree what is where CNC really shows its stuff. I used to have a CNC micromill when I taught the subject in school, but I had to leave that behind.

There is something satisfying about being able to say that, "I made that." Most people just look at you and think you are some sort of magician. My latest project that has spanned over a year is an adjustable dumbell set. I didn't want to pay $350 for one, so little by little, I have been plugging away at it. With any luck, I'll have it finished this weekend!

As for machining titanium, you must tell me more about that. Do I understand correctly that it can only be machined with diamond tools using copious amounts of coolant? Did you machine it manually as well as with a CNC machine?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Banned

Machining titanium is best done with solid carbide end mills and if your doing high speed circular interpolations, a reverse helix with a large secondary relief on the end mill and a smaller initial relief. The chips tend to wrap around the end mill and the reverse helix pushes them down and the large secondary relief gives them room to depart.

If you are going "REAL" slow, large 2 flute end mills with a high initial clearance and secondary works well, a 2" diameter end mill running at 125 rpm"s taking a .010" cut for example at an inch per minute. You'll only get a couple of cuts but dress the end of the tool with brass to prevent welding. Any tool used on titanium must be carbide for durability. Forged titanium should be cut and allowed to rest 24 hours as it will swell up and another final cut will have to be taken to get the true final dimension. I have machined everything manually and with CNC, including composite materials such as chopped Kevlar. Kevlar releases cyanide into the coolant which can make you very sick if the end mill gets too hot. Composites can very a health hazard when machining.

I also know how to drill holes into Chobham Armor, but that is still a secret.

Last edited by Zathros; 03-03-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:54 PM

Drilling holes in Chobham armor? Isn't that what anti-tank missiles are for? Sorry, bad joke. I have a friend in the aerospace industry, exec type who just sent a video of a javelin missile destroying a T-72. It's an amazing video. I've seen knocked out tanks in the Sinai, but nothing like this. If you are interested in seeing it, send me your email. No one is hurt in the video as it is a test shot. But, damned impressive, indeed!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdavenport View Post
If you are interested in seeing it, send me your email. No one is hurt in the video as it is a test shot. But, damned impressive, indeed!
Please send the video to [email protected]
I am interested in watching it

thanks
dmd
Google Adsense