PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 09-22-2021, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Beautiful images, and a fascinating story.

Don
Old 09-22-2021, 07:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Denali Flight 28 AUG 2021

Thank you Don and Kevin for the kind words.

On the last Saturday of August 2021 something happened here in Alaska that only happens once in a great while.

There were no forecast winds above 5mph near Denali Peak.

Decided it would be a worthwhile trip to go for photos on such a blue sky day.

Turned the oxygen on at 8500ft on my climb to 12,500. Stopped at 12,500 because my route, which was to the west of Mt Foraker would put me underneath a 40mph headwind that was moving at 14,000 ft but not at 12,500.

My planned route and altitudes should allow a complete 360 degree view of both peaks and associated lower mountains.

Plan to fly to the west of Mt Foraker, initiate a climb to 17,500ft as I cross over the Alaska Range west of the peaks, turn right once on the north side which is heading east along the North side of both peaks, until passing Denali and then another right turn to the south for final photos and flight home. As shown on the GPS Screenshot below-my average speed was 150mph.
Flying/Photography Hobbies-denali-8-28-21.jpg

By staying at 17,500ft and flying the reverse of my flight to the area, I caught a 45-50mph tailwind the whole way home.

959 photos were taken.

Some were taken on the way, Alaska has many views to share. In this case the Tordrillo Mountain Range is on the way, highest mountain peaks are over 11,000ft high. Mt Spur is part on the Kenai Peninsula Borough where I live. Mt Spur is also a volcano, last erupted 1990's. Mt Spur is the first snow caped peak on the left side of photo, with lake below it.
Flying/Photography Hobbies-127-139-spur-8-28-2021.jpg

If the committee I'm working with becomes successful, Mt Spur will be inside the city limits of my home town. We are trying to Incorporate into a city instead of being just a village.

Our city would be huge, over 3000 square miles. In some areas the backyard will be a Wilderness Area. We service a much larger area with our fire department's 5480 square miles.

The Mt Spur photo: Lake and Mt Spur itself, just above the lake, would be in our city. The other side of the lake is the Lake Clark Wilderness Area and Preserve.

Here are some panoramic views of what I saw.
Alaska Range with a distant Mt Foraker in front of Denali
Flying/Photography Hobbies-167-181-alaska-range-sw-8-28-2021.jpg

A little closer to Mt Foraker with Denali for a background.
Flying/Photography Hobbies-191-197foraker-denali-8-28-2021.jpg

Bright sun on lots of snow, the North Face of Mt Foraker and Denali:
Flying/Photography Hobbies-306-311-north.jpg

Flying/Photography Hobbies-406-417-denali-foraker.jpg

Here is a single photo of both mountains after my final right turn to a south heading. I'm looking west straight through where a passenger would be to take this photo. North face of Denali with Foraker in the background:
Flying/Photography Hobbies-dsc_0532.jpg

Now I'm on the south-east side and looking north to see the mountains.

Here is my favorite of trip. These are the same mountains that the very first post on this thread shows. Instead of snow and ice covering, you can see the rock instead. Guess the clouds in the first series of photos helped soften the view a little as well. Anyway here is my favorite:
Flying/Photography Hobbies-594-604-denali-foraker-8-28-2021.jpg

From all of these photos-I guess you can see how much I enjoy my clear canopy with no struts etc. to block the view...

I've printed most of these out at over 8ft long on canvas photo paper for inkjets. Using thumb tacks they are wall hangings...

Hope you enjoy!

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 09-22-2021 at 07:49 PM. Reason: block the view
Old 09-23-2021, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Beautiful country out there. Your photos bring it out for us to see .

Is your engine turbocharged or normal aspirated? 17k ft altitude is a challenge for a normal engine. I remember flying in my Grumman Cheetah at 12k ft and the aircraft was just able to hold altitude there.

Isaac
Old 09-23-2021, 07:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Beautiful country out there. Your photos bring it out for us to see .

Is your engine turbocharged or normal aspirated? 17k ft altitude is a challenge for a normal engine. I remember flying in my Grumman Cheetah at 12k ft and the aircraft was just able to hold altitude there.

Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Normally aspirated/carbureted: O-320 Lycoming/160hp.

RV's are really incredible machines. Specs say 21,000 svc ceiling. No, reason to doubt that number.

Leveling off at 17,500ft, still showing 400fpm climb at 130mph indicated (best rate climb speed). Not too bad for a 23ft wide wing span.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 09-23-2021 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Engine type
Old 09-24-2021, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Isaac,

Normally aspirated/carbureted: O-320 Lycoming/160hp.

RV's are really incredible machines. Specs say 21,000 svc ceiling. No, reason to doubt that number.

Leveling off at 17,500ft, still showing 400fpm climb at 130mph indicated (best rate climb speed). Not too bad for a 23ft wide wing span.

Mike
I had the same 160 HP engine on my Cheetah. However, because it is heavier, the 160 HP at sea level was probably closer to 80 HP at altitude and my rate of climb at 12k was well under 100FPM.

Keep it coming. I and I am sure others are enjoying the pics.

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 09-24-2021, 09:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Wonderful photos and running dialogue. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
John
Old 09-25-2021, 01:00 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Mike, good job I am not in the area or I would be hitching by the control tower!

In Kenya (many years ago I should add) I used to do this. I used to walk to the control tower and stand below it with a bit of cardboard with my destination on.

The aircraft taxing passed the control tower, and if they had a seat, they would always pull onto the grass and off I would go! Even go picked up by small RAF planes.

All a very different world back then!
Old 10-18-2021, 01:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Mike.

Amazing epic journeys. I know I will never be able to do something like that (but wish I could). Thanks for taking the time to write about them and share the wonderful photos so we could share in the adventure.

Regards

Kevin